Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Spastic Paraparesis in the Main forums forums; Has anyone else been given this diagnosis with a suspected cervical cord compression? Am going through a series of MRI ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 07:14 AM

Question Spastic Paraparesis

Has anyone else been given this diagnosis with a suspected cervical cord compression?
Am going through a series of MRI scans under the care of a neurologist, today I'll have a head scan , further cervical scan and a thoracic scan with a follow-up consultation on Wednesday.
My walking is still a lot different to my normal, slower and awkward, feels like my hips are fixed, and my feet feel like they're "plonking down".
May need a lumbar puncture to rule out other things but just hope this won't turn out to be "inconclusive" and that I'll be left like this - but mustn't get negative!?
Any input on walking problems whether diagnosed as SP or not would be interesting.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Administrator

LC, I've had several clients with serious gait problems related to cervical cord compression. Some are due to strentgh losses (like the foot drop you describe.) Some are due to spasticity. These issues are serious and may lead to a decision for surgery sooner, rather than later... even without a lot of pain.

It sounds like you are getting a good work-up. Please keep us posted,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-11-2007, 06:38 AM

Exclamation What's going on in there??

Thankyou for the help Mark.
Had a complete spine MRI yesterday and strangely found my walking was much easier as I left the hospital?!?!
Surely the MRI process didn't affect the artefacts and release a nerve or something or maybe the disc/whatever has shifted position in my neck?
Am really confused now.
Seeing the neurologist tomorrow and have to take all the pictures with me and apparently he'll have the reports.
What on earth can be going on with me? Shall see if things change during the day,
Be in touch
Lynette
Old 09-12-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Curiouser and curioser...

Saw neurologist today for report of spinal MRI.
He's referring me to a neurosurgeon but said he "doesn't think the surgeon will be impressed" by the amount of compression and that surgery wasn't necessary. My walking is easier than before but my legs still feel weak and wobbly.
Said there is minimal CSF space around the cord at C3/4/5 and mild SP of the left leg.
Strange consultation, he said he wouldn't send me for a lumbar puncture on the strength of the MRI pictures, - which pleased me as I wasn't looking forward to that procedure anyway.
As I have been given the MRI films I've asked for a copy of the report as well, I'd like to see what the radiologist's opinion is.
It all seems a bit "airy fairy" to me. I impressed on him that as much as I didn't "want" surgery I was hoping to get an explanation of my leg and bowel symptoms.
He didn't seem to have an answer so I asked him if it could be coming from the lumbar spine and his answer was "could be".....
So that takes me back to square one because it was my orthopaedic consultant that referred me to the neurologist in the first place!
So to sum up, I'm being sent to see the surgeon, not having a lumbar puncture, am to have nerve conduction tests, and presume the outcome is as I suspected, I will be left with these problems on an "inconclusive" basis.
I suppose I should try and be less negative and hope this conservative approach is best and just maybe the symptoms will resolve on their own, who knows?
Old 09-13-2007, 05:58 AM

Hi Lynette,
Sorry you still have no answers as to what is causing the SP. I hope you find the reasons soon. I guess sometimes they just don't know and I think Dr.s have a hard time saying that. I find the usual response to be " I don't see anything on your tests that would explain your symptoms. As patients we are left to think it must be in our head or at least they must think it is if they see nothing to expalin it.
It's not in your head! I understand the frustration! My thoughts are with you...don't give up!
Old 09-13-2007, 12:05 PM

Thanks Betsy!
Am really fed up, I can't believe they can't see any reason for such serious problems on these MRI scans.
Am now wondering if these problems are coming from the lumbar spine after all and nobody wants to deal with it. And thats why they use the "can't see any obvious cause of your symptoms" phrase?
Should get the written radiology report of the whole spine MRI in tomorrows post, I have the wallet of films but they're no good to me.
Neurologist didn't share any of that info with me yesterday, makes me curious!
Hope you are still on the up following your Dynesys?
Am not ready to go back to the gym yet, much as I need it, although my hip joints seem to have loosened up a bit and I can walk easier I still have shakiness in my legs and painful knees that don't want to bend fully, they seem to flex too far back though, like a flamingo!!
Best wishes
Lynette