Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Pet therapy? in the Main forums forums; This is really a caregivee issue instead of a caregiver issue, but this seems like the best place to discuss ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 02:41 AM
Administrator

Default Pet therapy?

This is really a caregivee issue instead of a caregiver issue, but this seems like the best place to discuss this anyway.

One of the things that Diane discussed in her presentation was the importance of us getting Taffy, a golden lab puppy. My daughter did a 4-h project, raising a service puppy. We got taffy about 9 months before my surgery... so it was the worst of times... I was pretty severely disabled and depressed. There is NO QUESTION that my life improved dramatically when we got Taffy. I now had something I had to take care of and something that made me laugh and smile frequently. Lauren was in middle school, and really rose to the occasion, taking care of our little pissing machine through the difficult puppy stages.

It was great that, as a service puppy, she came with an instruction manual to help insure that we raised a properly trained, well behaved dog. (I wish our children came with such a manual.)

In any case, having Taffy really improved my life. I was heartbroken that we had to give her up, but it was for a great cause. I has happy that we'd be in Germany for my surgery when she had to go back... I was afraid of how emotional I'd be giving her away. Fortunatlely, about a month after we got back, I got the call... Taffy washed out of the program so we could have her back.

I think it was because she was too young... only 10 months old when she went for advanced training. She had been the alpha dog in her litter and was now one of many alpha docs that had to sort themselves out in the big advanced training group. She is no longer in charge of anything and at the dog beach, the wimpiest dogs will have her bearing her jugular. Our kittens have always dominated her.

Diane thinks that Taffy washed out of the program because she already had a job... she was MY service dog. I think she may be right. Taffy is over 7 now and is an integral part of our family. However... she's been upstaged by Zoey. Better than pet therapy is grandchild therapy.

Taffy was great for the whole family... but in no small part because she put a smile on my face and that was all too rare during those times.

Comments?

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 02-13-2009, 06:21 AM

Well I have 2 small dogs...a miniature fox terrier who turns 13 in a few weeks and a 7 y/o dachshound cross pound puppy.
I spend a lot of time at home by myself while hubby's at work and these guys are literally my surrogate children. In fact I prefer them to my grown kids lol
When I had my first spinal surgery my foxy sat at the front door for nearly 2 days just waiting. Now that's loyalty!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:32 PM

Dogs give unconditional love and we all need love. They also need caring and give those who have no other reason to get out of bed in the morning, a good reason.

I've read many an article describing how dogs were used in hospitals, boosting healing rates in both the young and the old.

We've thought about raising a service dog but we just can't bear the thought of having to part with a dog. My hat is off to those who can. It must be as difficult as it is rewarding.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:25 AM

Default pet therapy

3 cats carried me thru many lonely moments of pain. Spouse working, friends busy, family far away, no longer working... and then came Lola the minature schnauzer that actually gave me a reason to walk and be off that couch or bed more and more.

Thanks to Lola (now nearly 6 years old) I became a much healthier spiney mentally and physically!
Old 03-07-2009, 02:03 AM

Default cats, dogs, other animals

My cat and my sister's dog have helped me through the dynesys failure. My nephew acts like a little animal sometimes and he has helped to.
Dynesys stabalization and decompression May 07
Removed Nov 08 Due to persistant debilitation bilateral nerve pain which resolved with removal
Old 03-10-2009, 11:39 PM

In addition to my two real children, Emma 5 1/2 and Ava 3, I have pet children too. We have 1 dog, 3 cats, 1 leopard tortoise, 3 saltwater fish, and 1 beta fish (had two but the youngest cat ate one).

So here is a little about my other children.... I have a 6 year old all white male boxer, Jack. Since you don't see the white one's often, he makes me be social when I don't feel like it, people asking about him, talking to him and enjoying his love. He is my 90 Lb. baby, he really thinks he is a cat, and my cat thinks he's a dog!

I also have my step-son black and white cat, Barney, who my husband had before I met him. This cat is the fattest cat you have probably ever seen AND he is 17 years old (amazingly, he is very healthy). All the time people ask me when her kittens are due and I tell them, he is fixed. We joke that he needs gastric bypass surgery and a body lift! He loves to lay on my feet, which drives me insane; but he is very sweet.

The next cat is a brown tabby, Oliver, we rescued from the pound and he is 1 year old. He is fun and always busy, watching the fish in our saltwater tank, trying to figure out how the heck he is going to eat them. Lets the kids play with him; but will scratch them when they cross the line (all my cats have claws to not only defend themselves from other animals; but from my kids!)

Last, is a black with small white markings female kitten, Kaylee. She adopted us, we found her in our garage (we live in the city in a subdivision, surrounded by city, so I have no idea where she came from). We found her running around in the garage, eating the cat food and she was about 5 weeks old. When we finally caught her (she obviously had a ferrell mother), her ribs poked out and she was covered in dirt and fleas. Got her to our vet, she had worms too, so it was a good thing we found her, or she would have probably have died from the fleas and worms. We guess our older kitten either carried her home or she followed him inside. Something like this: Our Cat:"hey, you look hungry, we have lots of food where I stay" Other Kitten: "hmm, let me think about it" Our Cat:"We have cat toys, fish, people that rub you whenever you want and a big fat cat we can chase" Other Kitten: "That sounds fun, think I will come check it out" My husband is a big softie and once the kids and I had claimed her, he had no choice but to let us keep her. She is almost a year old now and extremely playful. Always chasing and batting at something on the floor. She still is a bit skittish; but will come sit on me and let me pet her for hours (her fur is so soft, softer than my other cats). She has claimed me and really doesn't go to anyone else, which is fine with me.

For extra entertainment, we have a laser pen light that the animals go nuts chasing it around. The cats are the boss of the dog and he takes it. They will play for hours, he will get the cat in his mouth and 'play' with them and for some reason, they like it. Animals are so much fun, entertainment, enjoyment and unconditional love. I don't know where I would be without them. As much as I hate dog slobber, sometimes a big ole kiss from him is the best.
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-11-2009, 11:50 AM

Default re Pet Therapy

One of my good buddies Francis who was a black exotic shorthair cat and the most handsome well mannered cat I've ever been around had to be put down several months back. He was roughly 15 years old. This cat loved to cuddle and was truly one that attended the sick with his very sympathetic and quiet ways. But then again I have two Persians besides ages 13 and 12 that I've had since they were kittens and they're little plush pillows as well. Very calm cats. Winston the blue/gray persian acts like a person and is socialable to all and afraid of none. You can be moving furniture in the same room and he'll be the acting official on where it should land (or shouldn't).

Lola on the other hand is one spoiled mini schnauzer. Everyone says "and who did that?" so I'm busted. She's cute tho that's for sure. Has to lose some weight tho now as she's quite a bundle for me to lift/carry tho I shouldn't have to ~ she just likes it at times.

Dog beaches and dog walks with friends are a blast for me. It's where I feel free myself as I live vicariously seeing the dogs run~ they are so playful and elegant at it!

Pets rule (me)
Old 03-13-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post
One of my good buddies Francis who was a black exotic shorthair cat and the most handsome well mannered cat I've ever been around had to be put down several months back. He was roughly 15 years old. This cat loved to cuddle and was truly one that attended the sick with his very sympathetic and quiet ways. But then again I have two Persians besides ages 13 and 12 that I've had since they were kittens and they're little plush pillows as well. Very calm cats. Winston the blue/gray persian acts like a person and is socialable to all and afraid of none. You can be moving furniture in the same room and he'll be the acting official on where it should land (or shouldn't).

Lola on the other hand is one spoiled mini schnauzer. Everyone says "and who did that?" so I'm busted. She's cute tho that's for sure. Has to lose some weight tho now as she's quite a bundle for me to lift/carry tho I shouldn't have to ~ she just likes it at times.

Dog beaches and dog walks with friends are a blast for me. It's where I feel free myself as I live vicariously seeing the dogs run~ they are so playful and elegant at it!

Pets rule (me)
Winston sounds like my cat, Barney. We always joke that he thinks he makes the house payment.
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:26 PM

Default chiming in

guess i'd better tell you all about my kids.

I presently have 4 Old English Sheepdogs and 1 cat. I have been breeding and showing them for 20 years now.......... EEKKSS!

First and foremost they are my 'kids'. THEN they are my showdogs!

I have Duncan, Int./Mex./Latin Am./Am. Champion Gwynedd's Dunk 'n Disorderly, C.G.C. This is my heart boy! He was my first homebred Champion. I've taken him to Westminster twice, and to Switzerland for the Euro OES show, and to Mexico City twice..... He is now 10.5 years old. I brought his mom over from the U.K. and she lived to be 12....

next comes Delilah... Int./Mex./Latin Am/ Canadian/ Am. Champion To-Jo's Funtastic For Ewe. This girl has been a dream girl. She and I have been to Westminster twice, Mexico City, and to England to CRUFTS dog show. I am the only american to take a dog to the UK to show and then bring her home not selling her there! And the last to do this as now undocked dogs are not allowed to show in UK. I am hoping to breed her and Duncan this summer. This has been my dream breeding and one i bought her for. 2 years ago i had to fullfil my contract with her breeder and that has left me with:

Calypso........ GWYNEDD'S I B'LIZE IN EWE ... sheis quite the little imp. LOVES to be outside........ will start her show career this year. Unfortunately with my breeder and not me as i cannot run around the ring at this point. She is a cuddle bunny wnting to curl up next to you for huggs. She loves to rearrange my glass paperweights around the house so i have to keep a exercise pen up to keep her out of the living room..... otherwise you will hear clink clink clink! And hear me cringe!

and then there is .......................

Checker's... Canadian Ch. GWYNEDD EWE GOTTA B'LIZE IN SOMETHING
OMG this boy is GORGEOUS and the best dog i have ever bred! (shhhh don't tell Duncan). I sent him to my friend in Canada and he finished quite quickly. At present he only needs 1 more "major" to finish his American Ch. and he will go to my breeder to do that for me now. He is one of the most beautiful boys i've seen and we are looking to 'special' him here in the USA and hopefully you will be seeing him on Westminster next year as well as Eukanuba! (we are looking for backers if anyone is rich and wants to hel?! lol)
He is a kid in a furry suit. He counter surf's horribly and i cannot keep anything on my counters. He stole a loaf of bread off and when i caught him he dropped it and turned around and sat on it as if to say "WHAT loaf of bred mom? Don't have one!". He has decided he can be on the furniture (i've nver allowed any on my furniture) and there is no getting around it with him. He is close to 90 lbs at 18 months! This boy has such a funny personality..... he wants to sit next to you with his head on you, or go to the other end of the sectional on the chaise and arranges all of the pillows for his head!

and then there is my cuddle bunny kitty Peepers. She stays right by me and when my husband comes home from working gets in between us. he goes to move her and she gets highly upset! When i leave to go ot shows or somewhere, it is HER i have to hire a pet sitter for not the dogs! She doesn't like her mum being gone and gets upset and ill.

My husband is Norm. He is a DOD Contractor. He is now in South Korea, but was in Iraq for the past 5 years. He is a Warehouse manager and there just are no jobs in Colorado at this point that will pay anything. I would give anything to have him home......but I'm used to this as he was a Marine when i married him and knew what i was getting into when I married him.

We live in Northern Colorado. Just to the east of the foothills but not quite on the plains. Big agricultural area.........We both love to dive (i will only dive in clear warm waters like Carribean!) mostly around Belize/Cozumel. I hope to go to Hawaii to dive eventually. After my Kyphoplasty i was diving in Belize 2 weeks later.....

My first back injury was 5 years ago when the winds blew my van off of the road...... no damage to the car but as i had my seatbelt on, i compression fractured L3/4 in my back. I have done great until the last year and now i am in very much pain.

Okay i've written enough of a book but you should know me now.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:34 PM

I have a friend who used to breed Old English Sheepdogs. A funny story is when her male wouldn't breed with the female. Her husband had to help (figure it out for yourself) but the dog moved at a very inopportune moment.

I appreciate what he did and why but trust me, this is way beyond my weird scale. (for lack of a better word)
Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 PM

i'm laughing becasue my boy Duncan cannot figure the end part out.......... he doesn't want mama to be around......... we've tried leaving them alone etc. I finally just subcombed to having him 'collected" and frozen and stored.
I will do his last breeding this coming summer. But for years I told him "NO!!!! LEAVE IT)...... i was told this was the worst thing i could do to a young dog, it would ruin him as a stud. SO, my young boy I am trying to learn ...............

too funny. This is a wierd breed, a dying breed and a wonderful clown of a breed. They are extremely smart. Too smart actually and they have to have a JOB.

Ali
Old 04-02-2009, 03:50 PM

Default old english sheepdogs

I've longed for one of these as I love this breed. The only consideration I have for dogs that are big is what if I ever have to lift one or help it into the vehicle for any reason? Hence the mini schnauzer vs. standard or Giant (what hub wanted orginally).

Lola is a smart dog but she's been been binging like crazy on the dry cat food I have to leave out for the one cat (Winston) whose rear legs are going out.

Then as if that's not enough I feed Alaska on my bed (hey I'm alone)and there are times I see that Lola has jumped up there on the bed and slurped away at the food..

IF there were 2 of us in bed Alaska would be highly put out and no doubt make a stink by flying over me and landing between or biting me enough that I'd have to find another place to sleep.. throwing her off the bed isn't an option as she's a repeater .. and closing the door is something that causes a great catterwalling ruckus after an "open door policy" for so many years.

Am I trained or what????
Old 04-02-2009, 05:17 PM

Default Puppies

On of our babies was a very busy boy this past Christmas. He is a 1yr old short coat Chihuahua named Rocket. His best friend is our ALMOST 1yr old Toy Poodle named Lilly. Rocket impregnated Lilly the first part of December and they are the proud parents of two boys and two girls. The puppies are now 8 weeks old and almost ready for their forever homes.

Then, we had company on Christmas Eve and someone let him through the gate from the kitchen to my bedroom. My pride and joy is Keeta, a Long Coat Chihuahua that is five years old and (was) a virgin.

Rocket only got her once, but that is all it took. Keeta was impregnated on Christmas Eve and had to have a cesarean delivery on Feb. 23rd. Her boys are now five weeks old!

They are adorable, but a lot of work! All are registered, happy and healthy but I will be glad when it is back to just the adults. Rocket is going to be neutered as soon as I can come up with the cash!

I got Keeta just before my first ADR surgery in 2004. I consider her my service animal. She has done more for me than I could have ever imagined.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:56 PM

Hello,

Very cute!!!!

Dogs, and other animals are great company.

Thanks for the pictures!!!!

Todd

Surgery 10-19-07 ( L4-L5 Maverick disc )

For my true life story ...

go to -----> www.youtube.com

print -----> ADR surgery into the space bar

or ... http://www.maverick-disc.blogspot.com (my picture & movie updates)
Old 04-04-2009, 04:15 AM

Default photos

Kc,
What adorable bundles of joy! thanks for sharing photos of all. Must be keeping you really busy
Old 04-06-2009, 06:33 AM

Friday someone bought the Little Girl and I have been crying ever since. I don't know why I agreed to sell her, I have really been kicking myself for doing it. At the time I questioned whether I would be able to care for her with my current back issues and possible upcoming surgery but I feel like I sold my child!

Her Mommy, Lilly, was VERY young to be having puppies. I helped her with the delivery of the pups. With Little Bitsy, I had to suction her mouth out and stimulate her to breath in the first moments of her life. Had I not been there she likely would not have lived. From that first day through about four weeks of age, twice a day I held her and Lilly in the ‘nursing chair’ and made sure that she was getting at least some breast milk. I also supplemented her feedings with a bottle every day. I have never had a puppy that I had to care for as much as her. From the fist week she was nearly three times smaller than her siblings. She was almost as much my baby as she was Lilly’s. Every day since her birth I have cared for her to insure that she was able to get enough nutrition because she was not big enough to fend for herself.

Then, my health took a turn for the worse a few weeks ago. My medications were changed and increased and it has just been a very hard time. Little Bit was here in bed with me day and night. At first I claimed that it was so I could care for her and insure her safety, but I think it ended up with her caring for me! She stayed in bed with me, played with me and gave me kisses when I needed it.

I am not usually an emotional person. I think all of my medications have something to do with my current state, but I can not seem to forgive myself for letting Little Bit go. Within a few hours of her leaving, I called the buyer and begged for her to sell her back to me, I even told her to name her price, but she told me she was too attached!

I still miss my Little Bit.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:42 AM

Default Little Bit

Kc,
I think you really did bond with the pup in a special way and she you although while you are stuck in the mental realm of a human's emotions/feelings Little Bit is probably living in the moment and adapting to the new owner pretty well in her puphood glory. Not that she wouldn't love being w/you again tho I'm sure she's doing well where she is now.

Seems to me you did what you thought would be right considering your condition when doing badly and with possible upcoming surgical plans so I think you're just missing the love that you felt~ the connection.

It could be your meds, could be your emotions, could be both plus that the puppy was just a total little bundle of love and anybody would miss her like that!

Hang in there. You'll feel ok about it soon enough I'm sure..
Old 04-08-2009, 10:10 AM

"Pet Therapy" is so great and real. Stephen Kellert who co-authored w/EO Wilson (Pulitizer Winner) writes about our need for kinship w/other forms of life like animals and trees.

I still miss my golden hamster Ratfink when I was 12 and one cat who adopted me when I was in my 20s. What a great guy; he's jump on me from a ledge in the middle of the night onto my chest scaring the hell out of me as he pranced around looking for food. I'd awake with him sleeping at the foot of his bed and once or twice, I woke up and his head was next to mine on the pillow. Rambling!

Yea! for pets.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:46 AM

Default 3 Weeks post op-Me, Dog-2 days post-op

Hey everyone,
Just thought I'd share that my dog, Jack an all white pure bred boxer (his parents were fawn and white), just had his no-telling how many surgeries. This dog, probably has a longer medical record than my children, combined! If you ever want a money pit, get a white Boxer-Genius! I love him, hence why we have spent, literally, 1,000's of dollars on him (if I had to guess, I'd say 7k). Now, not all at once. No, it's always a $500 surgery, until the dog rips his staples out (even with the cone head collar AND the stiff neck collar on, his neck is so strong he can bend it with the metal brace on!). Then, it's off to be in the vet's care until he is healed (more $$$$).
Poor dog, has been dealt a hard hand. He had a lemon size tumor on his tail when he was 18 months. He had a 'show cut' and had to have 2 vertebrae removed and it cropped more, looks more like a cut you see on a pit bull. The tumor was cancer, didn't do the chemo, just cut it off (I love the dog; but chemo was too much). Then, he gets these skin lesions, they are like a zit, but they don't go away. They get larger and larger. So, he just had his second one surgically removed. He seriously has a bigger incision than I do! It is like 6 inches long, with tons of staples. He is absolutely driving me nuts, won't lay down, and blood is coming out of it. I am having to lock him in the bathroom, so he will be calm and lay. That or he has to have his bed by my feet, where he is touching me at ALL times. He is so cute in his cone head contraption. In the night he will wake up, forget it is on and go nuts, bumping into the wall, waking us up, making us think the house is being ransacked!
Well, word to the wise, no animal surgery during your recovery- not my smartest move! Will post a picture later....
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 05-08-2009, 05:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to Nairek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Earhart View Post
Hey everyone,
Just thought I'd share that my dog, Jack an all white pure bred boxer (his parents were fawn and white), just had his no-telling how many surgeries. This dog, probably has a longer medical record than my children, combined! If you ever want a money pit, get a white Boxer-Genius! I love him, hence why we have spent, literally, 1,000's of dollars on him (if I had to guess, I'd say 7k). Now, not all at once. No, it's always a $500 surgery, until the dog rips his staples out (even with the cone head collar AND the stiff neck collar on, his neck is so strong he can bend it with the metal brace on!). Then, it's off to be in the vet's care until he is healed (more $$$$).
Poor dog, has been dealt a hard hand. He had a lemon size tumor on his tail when he was 18 months. He had a 'show cut' and had to have 2 vertebrae removed and it cropped more, looks more like a cut you see on a pit bull. The tumor was cancer, didn't do the chemo, just cut it off (I love the dog; but chemo was too much). Then, he gets these skin lesions, they are like a zit, but they don't go away. They get larger and larger. So, he just had his second one surgically removed. He seriously has a bigger incision than I do! It is like 6 inches long, with tons of staples. He is absolutely driving me nuts, won't lay down, and blood is coming out of it. I am having to lock him in the bathroom, so he will be calm and lay. That or he has to have his bed by my feet, where he is touching me at ALL times. He is so cute in his cone head contraption. In the night he will wake up, forget it is on and go nuts, bumping into the wall, waking us up, making us think the house is being ransacked!
Well, word to the wise, no animal surgery during your recovery- not my smartest move! Will post a picture later....
Geez Kathy! You certainly have your hands full! Boxers are very cute & very active dogs. Those Elizabethan collars are a trip. My neighbors cat has had 1 on his head for months. I see him outside stalking the birds with it. I can't help but to laugh & feel bad for the little guy.

I use to work for a vet a long long time ago. It was probably the best job I ever had. Very bad on the back, but I loved being with the animals.

I know exactly what you mean about the medical bills for your dog. When I adopted my beagle from the local ASPCA, they didn't tell me that she had a severe heart murmur. It was a 5 on a scale of 1-6. I use to take her out into a field on a 40 ft line & let her run & howl to her heart's content until the vet told me that she could be running 1 minute & then croak the next. Nice vet huh?

As time went on, I had to put Peanut on heart medication, thyroid medication, & arthritis medication. She would be at the vets office sometimes every 4 months. She had issues with her liver enzymes (I suspect the Lasix had something to do with it) & then 1 kidney was functioning less than the other. I lucked out that the new vet I took her to gave a discount on shelter animals. I had also worked with her 15 years ago right before she went to vet school.

Sadly, I had to put my little Peanut to sleep a month after my fusion surgery. She wasn't able to keep from having "accidents" in the house & she paced non-stop all day & all night. The vet said it was dementia. I think it was from her arthritis causing pain. When I would take her outside, she would literally fall asleep while standing up & fall to the ground. I would have to pick her up & carry her back inside. I think this was what help cause my rapid decline with my spine but she was my baby & I had to do what I had to do. She dropped from 30 lbs down to 18 lbs in about a years time so I think that there was something else going on with her as well.

I miss my baby girl terribly. I still cry for her. But I know that I gave her the best life possible. Not many people would have put up with her severe separation anxiety & medical issues. But to me, she was worth it. She saved me from my depression & always made me smile
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

Anterior/Posterior Fusion L5/S1 -1/20/09
Old 05-08-2009, 07:14 PM

A dear friend died last year. She'd been sick for quite some time and had gone through many surgeries. She credited her dog for seeing her through some of her most difficult times. She was cremated and at the service, we were all surprised to discover she had had her dog cremated years before and their ashes were joined together before internment. Yes, they can bring so much to our lives.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Nairek

I had Peanut cremated as well. She played such an integral part of my life, that I couldn't just let her go that easily.
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

Anterior/Posterior Fusion L5/S1 -1/20/09
Old 07-06-2009, 05:34 AM

Default My 2 Labs have help me not be so sad about my neck...

My 2 Labs have help me not be so sad about my neck...
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:07 PM

Hi JKDE,

Welcome to the forum - Yes animals have such an ability to love. Last week's news stated that pets are becoming even more important as evidenced by a preponderence of people names as opposed to the cutsie pet names of yesterday, All out pet names were... except our current dog, Lucy.