ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   Do kneeling chairs help? (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/581-do-kneeling-chairs-help.html)

joemonfl 12-29-2007 11:49 AM

Do kneeling chairs help?

With all the restrictions we have sitting and since they say that sitting in a chair is not good for you anyway, I was wondering...

Has anyone had any experience with the kneeling chairs that are supposed to move your hips forward and keep you in alignment?
thx
Joe

Maria 12-29-2007 03:15 PM

kneeling chairs

Long ago I used this type of chair when in Grad school and trying to sit at a computer station however it was rough on my knees since I've had 2 right knee surgeries. If you've no knee problems you may want to try one. I think they are relatively inexpensive in stores like Target.

fuzzy 12-29-2007 03:53 PM

I tried this before surgery and it did not help in so far as it did not buy me time a a desk. Yes it was hard on my knees too. I still have this chair and should try again.

B13s 12-29-2007 04:00 PM

Initially I wanted to buy kneeling chair too, however I heard that it's not so good for the knees and ended with chair called Swopper - and quite happy with it (got some time to get used to it).

dshobbies 12-29-2007 06:17 PM

I tried one years ago and still have it. I found my legs got tired after a while and switched back to a regular style chair.

Maria 12-29-2007 06:43 PM

A Swooper?

I could google this tho not sure what kind of answers I'd get so may I ask what type of chair this is?

B13s 12-29-2007 08:03 PM

Site is www.swopper.de , but for some reason it's not working at the moment.
I also found US site - http://www.sittinginmotion.com/

chasswen 12-30-2007 11:56 AM

ladys and gents
i found after my adr surgery sitting was rough to say the least.
what i found was helpful was sit only in taller chairs and that wasnt enough either so i added 4 inches of foam to my sitting surfaces this helped alot. also remember you were stretched a lot so one wants to keep there legs as straight as much as you can, because all those muscles are contracting from the surgery just like your hamstring stretches this process is doing almost the thing in a sitting position.
i hope this helps also keep the back as straight as you can at all times. untill well after your recovery.
chuck

martyusa 12-30-2007 02:54 PM

I am no where as bad off as some of you. I have tried kneeling chairs and an exercise ball. The only relief that I seem to get is frequent breaks from sitting and sit the best way possible to be as comfortable as you can. We all know that walk when you are sitting too long. I need about 20 feet or so to get warmed up enough to stand up straight. I look like a frail old man for a while but eventually get straightened out.

I think overall it's about being aware of the amount of time we are sitting and walk around and stretch a bit. It's almost a catch 22 as your body starts to overcompensate with other muscle group that are being used.

mmglobal 01-03-2008 07:02 PM

I tried a kneeling chair and never found it comfortable enough... problem is with the way it makes your knees feel... not your back.

The staff in the back section of the alphaklinik all use stools that have wobbly seat tops. (Maybe someone can look online for these types of chairs and post here.) They do the same thing as the knee chairs, or using a swiss ball as a chair. It forces you to constantly stabilize your upper body and does wonders for your lower trunk strength. Based on what I see at the klinik, those chairs also makes you look like a super model.

Mark

B13s 01-03-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmglobal (Post 3139)
I tried a kneeling chair and never found it comfortable enough... problem is with the way it makes your knees feel... not your back.

The staff in the back section of the alphaklinik all use stools that have wobbly seat tops. (Maybe someone can look online for these types of chairs and post here.) They do the same thing as the knee chairs, or using a swiss ball as a chair. It forces you to constantly stabilize your upper body and does wonders for your lower trunk strength. Based on what I see at the klinik, those chairs also makes you look like a super model.

Mark

Are you talking about something like this? http://www.sitz.ch/docs/swopper_c.jpg

mmglobal 01-03-2008 09:40 PM

No, they are all blond. The chair is the same though.

B13s 01-03-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmglobal (Post 3145)
No, they are all blond. The chair is the same though.

This is what I mentioned before - chair is called Swooper - and is really good once you get used to it.

Maria 01-04-2008 03:19 PM

The Swooper

thanks for posting this info. It would seem like this chair provides movement that one uses core strength to maintain positioning throughout the day. I used to use the Swiss Ball to sit on and work at my computer station. I could remain more comfortably on this than any chair and I believe it was mostly because of the movement allowed decreasing pressure on my tailbone and low spine area. I would say bouncing may be good for your health!:D

joemonfl 01-05-2008 10:51 PM

Great info on the chairs everyone thank you.

I found that higher chairs seem to be more comfortable and since I'm leaning forward on the pc all day (with breaks of course) I thought a chair that leaned forward would help, so I'll look at the swooper, thanks.

Hey Mark, we're both pretty tall, have you sat in one of the swooper type chairs? I found most chairs aren't made for guys over 6'+.

danab 02-04-2008 06:24 PM

My physical therapist told me not to get a kneeling chair as it causes knee problems. I bought a Swopper a year and a half ago. It took about a month to get my back strong enough. Now I love it.