Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Do kneeling chairs help? in the Main forums forums; With all the restrictions we have sitting and since they say that sitting in a chair is not good for ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Do kneeling chairs help?

With all the restrictions we have sitting and since they say that sitting in a chair is not good for you anyway, I was wondering...

Has anyone had any experience with the kneeling chairs that are supposed to move your hips forward and keep you in alignment?
thx
Joe
Old 12-29-2007, 03:15 PM

Default kneeling chairs

Long ago I used this type of chair when in Grad school and trying to sit at a computer station however it was rough on my knees since I've had 2 right knee surgeries. If you've no knee problems you may want to try one. I think they are relatively inexpensive in stores like Target.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:53 PM

I tried this before surgery and it did not help in so far as it did not buy me time a a desk. Yes it was hard on my knees too. I still have this chair and should try again.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to B13s

Initially I wanted to buy kneeling chair too, however I heard that it's not so good for the knees and ended with chair called Swopper - and quite happy with it (got some time to get used to it).
Old 12-29-2007, 06:17 PM

I tried one years ago and still have it. I found my legs got tired after a while and switched back to a regular style chair.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:43 PM

Default A Swooper?

I could google this tho not sure what kind of answers I'd get so may I ask what type of chair this is?
Old 12-29-2007, 08:03 PM

Site is www.swopper.de , but for some reason it's not working at the moment.
I also found US site - http://www.sittinginmotion.com/
Old 12-30-2007, 11:56 AM

Smile

ladys and gents
i found after my adr surgery sitting was rough to say the least.
what i found was helpful was sit only in taller chairs and that wasnt enough either so i added 4 inches of foam to my sitting surfaces this helped alot. also remember you were stretched a lot so one wants to keep there legs as straight as much as you can, because all those muscles are contracting from the surgery just like your hamstring stretches this process is doing almost the thing in a sitting position.
i hope this helps also keep the back as straight as you can at all times. untill well after your recovery.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 12-30-2007, 02:54 PM

I am no where as bad off as some of you. I have tried kneeling chairs and an exercise ball. The only relief that I seem to get is frequent breaks from sitting and sit the best way possible to be as comfortable as you can. We all know that walk when you are sitting too long. I need about 20 feet or so to get warmed up enough to stand up straight. I look like a frail old man for a while but eventually get straightened out.

I think overall it's about being aware of the amount of time we are sitting and walk around and stretch a bit. It's almost a catch 22 as your body starts to overcompensate with other muscle group that are being used.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator

I tried a kneeling chair and never found it comfortable enough... problem is with the way it makes your knees feel... not your back.

The staff in the back section of the alphaklinik all use stools that have wobbly seat tops. (Maybe someone can look online for these types of chairs and post here.) They do the same thing as the knee chairs, or using a swiss ball as a chair. It forces you to constantly stabilize your upper body and does wonders for your lower trunk strength. Based on what I see at the klinik, those chairs also makes you look like a super model.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-03-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal View Post
I tried a kneeling chair and never found it comfortable enough... problem is with the way it makes your knees feel... not your back.

The staff in the back section of the alphaklinik all use stools that have wobbly seat tops. (Maybe someone can look online for these types of chairs and post here.) They do the same thing as the knee chairs, or using a swiss ball as a chair. It forces you to constantly stabilize your upper body and does wonders for your lower trunk strength. Based on what I see at the klinik, those chairs also makes you look like a super model.

Mark
Are you talking about something like this? http://www.sitz.ch/docs/swopper_c.jpg
Old 01-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Administrator

No, they are all blond. The chair is the same though.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-03-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal View Post
No, they are all blond. The chair is the same though.
This is what I mentioned before - chair is called Swooper - and is really good once you get used to it.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:19 PM

Default The Swooper

thanks for posting this info. It would seem like this chair provides movement that one uses core strength to maintain positioning throughout the day. I used to use the Swiss Ball to sit on and work at my computer station. I could remain more comfortably on this than any chair and I believe it was mostly because of the movement allowed decreasing pressure on my tailbone and low spine area. I would say bouncing may be good for your health!
Old 01-05-2008, 10:51 PM

Great info on the chairs everyone thank you.

I found that higher chairs seem to be more comfortable and since I'm leaning forward on the pc all day (with breaks of course) I thought a chair that leaned forward would help, so I'll look at the swooper, thanks.

Hey Mark, we're both pretty tall, have you sat in one of the swooper type chairs? I found most chairs aren't made for guys over 6'+.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:24 PM

My physical therapist told me not to get a kneeling chair as it causes knee problems. I bought a Swopper a year and a half ago. It took about a month to get my back strong enough. Now I love it.