Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Hello, and my introduction =( in the Main forums forums; Hey all, Im a 37 year old male whos been dealing with lower back troubles since 1994. I initially injured ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2008, 08:07 PM

Default Hello, and my introduction =(

Hey all, Im a 37 year old male whos been dealing with lower back troubles since 1994.
I initially injured my back carrying a 24' ladder and slipping on the ice.
I was 24 and it was the first time I ever had back pain. Pain was only in lower back, with no leg pain.Pain gradually got worse and right leg pain started till eventually it was 24 hours a day unrelenting.After an MRI confirmed a large HNP w/fragment right sided crushing the L5 nerve. I had a microdicectomy w/laminectomy in 1995 and all went well. In 2000 I started having major lower back pains with some leg pain/numbness and was sent for another MRI.
MRI confirmed small right sided HNP both L4-5 and at L5-S1 with slight bulge at L3-4.Minimal scarring at L4-5 from discectomy.Went for physical therapy with traction and the results were well.
Well since 2000 there are times where my back goes out, I cant stand straight and Im out of work for a week or two. Seemed to be the norm.In beginning of 2007 I heard about DRX9000,got another MRI and MRI showed, no herniation at L4-5,HNP right sided at L5-S1 with some S1 nerve root displacement,disk bulge at L3-4,DDD and spondylosis L3-S1.DRX after 12 sessions did nothing for me except lighten my wallet.Which brings me to Dec of 2007.
I was pushing some snow(not lifting),came in laid on the couch and when I got up,BOOM cant stand straight.Nice, just in time for Xmas.Lower back was in total spasm and while laying in bed a few nights later I tried stretching a little and extended my back trying do a self adjustment.Wasnt a smart thing to do and my back hurt worse the next morning.A few days later I started getting pain down my right leg, but it wasnt the same as it was when before I had my surgery.Hurt so bad I was limping and could barely walk.Leg pain started 3 weeks from today and it is improving daily but Im still limping slightly with dull pain behind my right knee,outside my foot and just under my buttock.Also some cold tinglies in the outside of my right foot.Back pain is not too bad.All dermatones point to L5-S1 and the S-1 nerve root which is probably why it doesnt feel the same as when it was compressing L4-5 pre-surgery.
I see a good chiro 1x a week,use ice,moist heat,light stretching and lower back/abdominal exercises and use my TENS unit intermittently and inversion table.
2 Aleve per day has dulled the pain, but Im at a crossroads on what to do next.
Should I be patient and see if the leg pain goes away totally or schedule an appointment with a good neuro/ortho surgeon?
I could handle the nagging back pain, but the sciatica just scares the crap out of me.
Thanks

Last edited by pittpete; 01-07-2008 at 08:10 PM.