Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Facet Nerve Block in the Main forums forums; I'm scheduled to undergo a facet nerve block procedure on Monday 2-4. I have had a myriad of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 06:44 PM

Default Facet Nerve Block

I'm scheduled to undergo a facet nerve block procedure on Monday 2-4.
I have had a myriad of diagnostic procedures over the last 14 years, including multiple facet injections (no relief with those, by the way), but somehow have escaped having a facet nerve block.

The scrip simply reads "L3 & L4 facet nerve blocks". I will certainly ask questions at the center where the nerve block will be performed prior to the procedure, but would like to know if any of you have had this performed.

Can you relate your experiences, please?

Many Thanks in Advance,
Jeff
Two level cervical Mobi-C (C5/6, C6/7) 2/2/07 with Dr. Zeegers (successful)
Laser Facet Coagulation (left side: L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 & sacral) 11/04/10 with Prof. Dr. Reul / Beta Klinik (significant reduction in remnant lumbar & sacral pain)
Old 02-03-2008, 02:49 AM

Hi Jeff,

Sorry to hear you're having to deal with the facets. 3 years after ADR I had L5S1 facets blocked. The doc numbed four places: Upper left, lower left, upper right, lower right. The numbness only lasts a few hours so I was told to go perform provocative actions. I went to the fitness center and experimented with the various torture devices I haven't been able to use since ADR. I could do most anything I wanted. I felt worse than normal the next day but this was to be expected. It was a successful diagnostic that showed the L5S1 facets as a major pain generator.

I'm sure you're aware of this already, and that is you can drive yourself to and from the procedure if you decline the mild sedation they assume you'll want.

Here's hoping for an unambiguous result.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 02-05-2008, 04:13 AM

Default L3 & L4 Nerve Block instead

Thanks for the insights Jim,

Well, after discussion prior to the procedure between me, my pain management doc who was performing the procedure, and my spine doc via phone, the decision was made to perform a selective nerve block, left side only, L3 & L4.

My pain doc said there was an increased risk of this procedure because of my ADR collection (5), as injecting steroids near artificial discs could invite infection due to lowering the body's immune system capabilities, so he used a minimum amount (I'm told).

Anyway, here I am resting. I did notice an improvement in left leg pain for about the first 6 hours after the procedure, but it's ramping back up now.

God Bless,
Jeff
Laser Facet Coagulation (left side: L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 & sacral) 11/04/10 with Prof. Dr. Reul / Beta Klinik (significant reduction in remnant lumbar & sacral pain)
Old 02-11-2008, 09:40 PM

Jeff,
How did the nerve block turn out? Have you reached any conclusions about the results?

Jim

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 02-12-2008, 12:37 AM

Default nerve block

Jim,
Thanks for asking.
I received some relief (30%) of my lumbar and left leg symptoms for about 5-6 hours.
The needle jockey told me he wasn't going to inject very much steroid as it is dangerous to inject steroids that close to artificial discs because of the risk of infection, as the steroid lowers the ability of the immune system to respond in the area that is injected, and the artificial discs are a "magnet" for the seeding of infection.
I'll see my stateside spine doc in 2 weeks to see what the verdict is.
God Bless,
Jeff