Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Muscle Hernia after surgery? in the Main forums forums; I am 3 weeks post op from 2 level ADR with Dr. B in Straubing. I have an egg sized ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 02:24 PM

Default Muscle Hernia after surgery?

I am 3 weeks post op from 2 level ADR with Dr. B in Straubing. I have an egg sized lump poking out of my skin at the top of my incision. I've seen my family physician who calls it a muscle coming through a weakend abdominal wall. Dr. F-M at Pro Spine evaluated the pictures and says its most likely a muscle hernia which would mean cosmetic surgery. I am in the process of setting up an ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis but I just thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone else has had this problem post surgery and what you might know about it. Thanks

Cheryl
2 level Prodisc ADR L4-S1, Feb. 18, 2008 Dr. Bertagnoli - Straubing, Germany - SUCCESS -

Now I struggle with Neck Pain likely c5-7
PT, injections, rhizotomy.......MRI and CT Myleo not consistent with pain symptoms, waiting that out, keeping my passport valid
Old 03-13-2008, 04:04 PM

Cheryl:
Did Dr. F-M indicate that it was okay to do ultrasound so soon after implantation of the ADR's? Just adding a note of caution...
Old 03-13-2008, 04:48 PM

Default ultrasound after ADR

Yes, Dr. F-M is the one who suggested it and wanted to know the results. So, it never occurred to me that there are risks with that.

Although I read on other forums about being careful I'm not sure where to go with this except to get it.

I have an appt with a spine surgeon who trained under Dr. B (thanks to Mark facilitating it and I am not even a client of Marks) on the 26th I suppose I can wait for his advice.

What are the risks of ultrasound after adr?
2 level Prodisc ADR L4-S1, Feb. 18, 2008 Dr. Bertagnoli - Straubing, Germany - SUCCESS -

Now I struggle with Neck Pain likely c5-7
PT, injections, rhizotomy.......MRI and CT Myleo not consistent with pain symptoms, waiting that out, keeping my passport valid
Old 03-14-2008, 08:06 AM

This probably doesn't have much if any applicability to your situation but I had an inguinal(sp?) herniation prior to L5S1 ADR. It was a bump on the right side of the lower abdomen. It was no big deal, the surgery went off as planned. About a year after ADR I had it surgerically meshed-up along with the left side which was also herniated.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 03-14-2008, 09:29 AM

Not sure if any help but I had an abdominal hernia in the belly button that caused it to protrude and when pushed gently inwards, it would hurt. (Until it hurt bad and I needed surgery). This is easy to repair with mesh but I gotta admit I was munching Vicodin for a few days later. Good luck! - ans
Old 03-15-2008, 01:56 AM
Administrator

Cheryl, at the Alphaklinik, they routinely do ultrasound on patients at 2 days post-op.

Since I have a family history of arterial disease, I had an ultrasound done there a few months ago. It was a full body scan and Dr. Blome paid special attention to the arteries where they bifurcate to head down your legs. This is right at L4-5.

So, I personally have had abdominal ultrasound at my disc levels. Obviously, let them know about your discs... but don't raise any red flags if they don't.

I look forward to hearing that you got it fixed and are doing well. String bikini this summer?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 11-16-2012, 03:48 AM

My hubby had a hernia that appeared as a bulge in the region below the ribcage and above the belly button. Initially, it was small but it began to develop bigger. It was heard to find a good Hernia Hospital for the treatment, but finally found one in Toronto. The treatment gone well. They said he would heal within a week, but it took three weeks. Anyways, he is fine now.