Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Vertigo From Cervical Spine Surgery? in the Main forums forums; I had an acdf on May 8th. I was complaining about pain in the back of my neck so on ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 07:24 AM

Default Vertigo From Cervical Spine Surgery?

I had an acdf on May 8th. I was complaining about pain in the back of my neck so on June 2nd the doctor gave me a Medrol 4mg Pak. I took 3 at dinner, 3 at bedtime and 1 at 5:00 in the morning the next day. At 9:30, I woke up to vertigo. I went to the doctor the next day because it didn't stop and he said I have in inner ear infection and it could not be the Medrol. He didn't even examine me. I was just wondering if anyone has had vertigo from the spinal surgery. I was thinking that it could be from that.

Joanie
Old 06-08-2008, 04:20 PM

I experienced dizziness and vertigo for a few days after my ESI's...and I believe I have seen reports of dizziness after cervical surgery on discussion boards. I am also surprised that he prescribed steroids after acdf since my understanding is that steroids interfere with bone growth...Would be interested in others' responses...
Old 06-08-2008, 04:57 PM

Default vertigo

I sometimes get vertigo as part of an aura with my migraines. I don't know if some the reason however I get migraines isn't related to what is going on with my cervical spine. I think it is, my OSS thinks it's not. I'm not thinking all the time the migraines are related to my cervical disc situation but maybe sometimes.

I've had 2 dentists tell me that the grinding/clenching and TMJ I have is related to my spinal column from the lumbar spine up to the cervical spine (yes, I use a nightguard).

I've had ESIs now over a period of 7 years with no real vertigo spells that I could think of however the thought that it could have been the medrol makes sense to me.. could have been altho if you still experience them after you've stopped this medication then likely not the explanation. Did you ever have vertigo before your cervical surgery?

Re cervical spine surgery and vertigo.. it is an interesting query. Is this a regular symptom you have? Inner infection is usually the first thing that is ruled out re vertigo tho at the very least an examination of the inner ear should be made before rendering this diagnosis!

I personally know 2 people who have had severe vertigo episodes as well as milder episodes with no cervical complaints or history at all and have exhausted a thorough battery of diagnostic exams/testing/films including cervical MRIs and still not had a diagnosis made or actual treatment that has stopped the vertigo episodes.

Supposedly vertigo can be a symptom associated with many entities...

Last edited by Maria; 06-08-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:00 AM

I never had vertigo before, that is why it was so scary. I am still having it even though I am taking Antivert for it. I stopped the Medrol right after I got the vertigo. I called the manufacturer of the pill and they said it can take 5 days to get out of my system. At this point, I just don't know. I am going to wait until Tuesday and if I stil have it, I will see another doctor.

Joanie
Old 06-21-2008, 04:47 AM

I've had a lot of vertigo and it's STILL Scary

HealthSynergyRx.com
Old 06-21-2008, 06:40 AM

Did they start after the surgery? If they did, how long after? My vertigo started one month after. I believe it started when I started sleeping on my side while still wearing my soft collar.

I still have it and am going to an ENT on Thursday for the Epley maneuver.

Joanie