Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Stem Cell Therapy In Denver For Herniated Disc in the Main forums forums; http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...hospital-says/...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 03:26 AM

Default Stem Cell Therapy In Denver For Herniated Disc

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...hospital-says/

The Bionic Man - "We'll make him better than he was before...Better, Stronger, Faster"...well not quite but you get the idea
Old 06-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Thanks Geoff!

This is different than the ADCT procedure that one of our members had. The procedure done in Denver was injection of stem cells at the time of discectomy. I've seen several presentations on this and it looks promising. The ADCT procedure involves harvesting your own disc nucleus cells at time of discectomy and culturing them to grow your own replacement nucleus. The cells are reinjected many weeks later after the disc has healed.

One obvious difference between the procedures that the stem cell injection occurs at a time when the annular defect is raging... and possibly made worse by discectomy. I wonder if adding volume to the nucleus with the defect still open substantially increases the risk of recurrent herniation? With the ADCT procedure, they actually pressure test the disc before injection of the cultured cells.)

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-22-2010, 02:19 AM

About how much did the surgery cost? Is it really safe? I have read some articles about those who have undergone a stem cell transplant and they said that it is hard at first but it sure helped them recover fast.

Last edited by leedavis; 03-23-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:32 AM

The procedure was done in 2008 yet google searching by me could find nothing regarding outcome. Presumably if the stem cell treatment was shown to improve patient outcome there would have been further news about it and it would be used more widely by now. I initially got excited about stem cells to regenerate discs but now think it will be years away and then only useful in limited instances of early degeneration.

MESOBLAST'S PROPRIETARY STEM CELLS SUCCESSFULLYREPAIR/REGENERATE DAMAGED INTERVERTEBRAL DISC CARTILAGE

the testing is not honest in that they us a chemical to temporarily degenerate a healthy animal disc then add stem cells that kick start it again. naturally degenerated discs have suffered long term genetic, physical, or nutrient supply issues which are probably unable to be reversed by stem cells, imo.