Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss 5 Years Post Op! in the Main forums forums; Wow...hard to believe over 5 years have passed since my surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli - November 2003...seems like a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 03:44 AM

Default 5 Years Post Op!

Wow...hard to believe over 5 years have passed since my surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli - November 2003...seems like a lifetime ago.

My back feels so good I forget I've had surgery most all of the time (until I see the scar of course!). Even shoveling a ton of snow last month didn't hurt.

For those who know me, I quit my cop job last year, moved to northern Arizona, went back to school.....and couldn't be happier. Every now and then I miss chasing bad guys around, but get it out of my system hiking and snowshoeing around here.

Not much else to say except I'm still very happy my surgery was such a success, especially in light of all the other health crap and surgeries I've had since then.

Still eternally grateful to you Mark for all the help and support you've given me since the beginning. If I hadn't met you, I doubt I'd be here writing about how good my back feels! And PS Mark - John is back in Seattle, he started commercial flight school!

Last edited by queenofhearts; 01-25-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:02 AM

Doreen!!!

I've been thinking about you lately. It is so great to see you are doing well. How is your son doing? Great news about the move and change of career--I remember hearing something along those lines.

Great to see you again "Wonder Woman."
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:47 PM

Default Good news is nice

Remember reading your thread on other site. So glad to hear a good ADR story. That and seeing that Dr. B did your surgery gives me hope for complete success. I'll be patient and work hard.

God bless you and keep up the good work! Sandy

**p.s. my reading habits consist of cop stories, chasing serial killers, etc., war stories, etc., etc. My way of escaping and being excited! A stretch from a boring school teacher, maybe a cop in my previous life?
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany
Old 01-26-2009, 05:28 PM

Default Hey there Queen o' Hearts

So good to hear from you and glad you're doing so spinally well.... shoveling snow~ yep that's good for the old spine
Old 01-27-2009, 03:58 PM

I am not familiar with your story, but very happy to hear such a wonderful outcome.

What levels did you have done?

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 01-28-2009, 07:41 AM

Hi everyone!

Cathy - I had L4/5-L5/S1 replaced. L5/S1 was pretty much bone on bone, and L4/5 wasn't a whole lot better. I originally planned to have 3 levels replaced (L3/4 - L5/S1), but Dr. Bertagnoli thought that L3/4 would take care of itself if the levels below were replaced (and he was right!).

Justin - I sent you a message....

Maria! Its been a long time...I'm going to try and make the next 'gathering' if I can - hopefully I'll see there...Its not too far of a drive and I would enjoy being warm for once (its about 5 degrees right now!)

Sandy - sometimes being a vicarious cop is better - no politics involved!

To anyone else reading - those waiting and those on the fence about ADR surgery, Mark will be the first one to tell you that when I was still in Germany, I thought I'd made the biggest mistake of my life. Now I know it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

While my surgery has been such a success, I feel bad for everyone who isn't doing so well post-op and wish you all the best. I don't post much about my good fortune....makes me feel bad for those who are still hurting.

Last edited by queenofhearts; 01-28-2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: whoops....