ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   Surgical Outcomes and Blogs (http://www.ispine.org/forum/surgical-outcomes-blogs/)
-   -   Oh boy - 4 epiderals and nothing (http://www.ispine.org/forum/surgical-outcomes-blogs/1364-oh-boy-4-epiderals-nothing.html)

Jakea222 03-12-2009 01:33 AM

Oh boy - 4 epiderals and nothing

OK - I know it has been a while - and I am sorry to all of you that have been supportive -

so here is my update- The first injections knocked my pain (3 disc bulges and anterlothesis of L5 S1) so the first doc nailed it and reduced my pain level 75% I would say and they wanted to do it again which is what lots of people said - the docs office lost my file and to make a long story short - they did another one - different doc - horrible little man - pain went back to the original before the first injection and after trying to get a follow up (lost my file - billed me for procedure and crazy people) anyways I went to another doc. Younger nice guy - Dr Matthew Richardson here at Atlanta Spine - spent a ton of time with us - re diagnosed the original MRI to more severe and now L5 rupture but very optimistic. His injections took my original pain down maybe 25% --

Here is my question - am I being too optimistic with these injections even though I have a good optimistic doc --- any thoughts

Terry Allen Blackburn 03-12-2009 02:34 AM

Before my four level ADR the injections were a waste of money as they did nothing. I was so badly damaged they didn't even mask the pain. After my four level ADR I had injections every three months and that is the length of pain relief I got from them. I did that for one year after my ADR surgery and then did not need any injections for a year. I had a flare-up of some SI joint issues before Christmas and had two injections. It took about three weeks to get the maximum benefit out of the injections but I am feeling really good again. That is the best I can tell you.

There is the possibility that you may have to wait a couple of weeks to get any pain relief.

Hang in there.

Terry Newton

Gil Denis 03-12-2009 02:44 AM

Esi

Hi Jake
I am in the process on another round of injections with a different Dr.
First was Nerve Block at L5 no relief that was three weeks ago $ 895.
Second was ESI at S-1 nothing one week ago $ 1,200 pissed away.:mad:
Next appointment is march 17 maybe with the luck of the Irish this one will work:eek:
I think they also damage tissue? Dr J could help here?
I will keep in touch, send me a P.M
Best Wishes

Gil:)

dshobbies 03-12-2009 07:52 PM

Sorry Jake,

ESI's did nothing for me. I had a series of 3 over 3 weeks. Pain improved after 1st one, did not improve with 2 or 3 and by the 4th week, absolutely nothing.

It was a waste of my money but worth a try - maybe.

mmglobal 03-12-2009 10:02 PM

I had 8 epidurals in the 2.5 years after my auto accident in '97. Most helped. One made me way worse. A couple did nothing. I think that most of is will receive some short-term benefit, even if the injection is in the wrong place. Some of the steriod will get into our system and help everything a small amount.

I think that very few of us will get long-term relief. IMHO, you have to have a unique configuration in which chronic inflammation generates the inflammation. If you shrink the inflamed tissues long enough to get some real healing, they might withdraw far enough so they are no longer being irritated. I think that most of us that get far enough down the road to do ESI's, already have structural issues that are too far gone for ESI good luck.

I'm not saying don't try them. I don't understand (beyond the obvious financial implications) why a doctor would do a 3rd, 4th, 5th, ESI without benefit from earlier ones.

Good luck... all the best,

Mark

Cheryl 03-12-2009 11:36 PM

Did nothing for me either

I had two in low back, two in neck - nothing.

I hope it works for you but just thought it worth sharing so you don't feel alone if it doesn't.

Jakea222 03-13-2009 01:36 AM

Well the first one really worked - the second I think the doc missed and not to mention he was an idiot and I changed docs and He said he hit it, I like him. I just work in a very physical job as a Sous Chef and very hard on the back as well as the body - so I was just wanting some feedback