Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Oh boy - 4 epiderals and nothing in the Main forums forums; OK - I know it has been a while - and I am sorry to all of you that have been supportive - ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 01:33 AM

Default Oh boy - 4 epiderals and nothing

OK - I know it has been a while - and I am sorry to all of you that have been supportive -

so here is my update- The first injections knocked my pain (3 disc bulges and anterlothesis of L5 S1) so the first doc nailed it and reduced my pain level 75% I would say and they wanted to do it again which is what lots of people said - the docs office lost my file and to make a long story short - they did another one - different doc - horrible little man - pain went back to the original before the first injection and after trying to get a follow up (lost my file - billed me for procedure and crazy people) anyways I went to another doc. Younger nice guy - Dr Matthew Richardson here at Atlanta Spine - spent a ton of time with us - re diagnosed the original MRI to more severe and now L5 rupture but very optimistic. His injections took my original pain down maybe 25% --

Here is my question - am I being too optimistic with these injections even though I have a good optimistic doc --- any thoughts
Old 03-12-2009, 02:34 AM

Before my four level ADR the injections were a waste of money as they did nothing. I was so badly damaged they didn't even mask the pain. After my four level ADR I had injections every three months and that is the length of pain relief I got from them. I did that for one year after my ADR surgery and then did not need any injections for a year. I had a flare-up of some SI joint issues before Christmas and had two injections. It took about three weeks to get the maximum benefit out of the injections but I am feeling really good again. That is the best I can tell you.

There is the possibility that you may have to wait a couple of weeks to get any pain relief.

Hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 03-12-2009, 02:44 AM

Thumbs down Esi

Hi Jake
I am in the process on another round of injections with a different Dr.
First was Nerve Block at L5 no relief that was three weeks ago $ 895.
Second was ESI at S-1 nothing one week ago $ 1,200 pissed away.
Next appointment is march 17 maybe with the luck of the Irish this one will work
I think they also damage tissue? Dr J could help here?
I will keep in touch, send me a P.M
Best Wishes

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 03-12-2009, 07:52 PM

Sorry Jake,

ESI's did nothing for me. I had a series of 3 over 3 weeks. Pain improved after 1st one, did not improve with 2 or 3 and by the 4th week, absolutely nothing.

It was a waste of my money but worth a try - maybe.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Administrator

I had 8 epidurals in the 2.5 years after my auto accident in '97. Most helped. One made me way worse. A couple did nothing. I think that most of is will receive some short-term benefit, even if the injection is in the wrong place. Some of the steriod will get into our system and help everything a small amount.

I think that very few of us will get long-term relief. IMHO, you have to have a unique configuration in which chronic inflammation generates the inflammation. If you shrink the inflamed tissues long enough to get some real healing, they might withdraw far enough so they are no longer being irritated. I think that most of us that get far enough down the road to do ESI's, already have structural issues that are too far gone for ESI good luck.

I'm not saying don't try them. I don't understand (beyond the obvious financial implications) why a doctor would do a 3rd, 4th, 5th, ESI without benefit from earlier ones.

Good luck... all the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-12-2009, 11:36 PM

Default Did nothing for me either

I had two in low back, two in neck - nothing.

I hope it works for you but just thought it worth sharing so you don't feel alone if it doesn't.
2 level Prodisc ADR L4-S1, Feb. 18, 2008 Dr. Bertagnoli - Straubing, Germany - SUCCESS -

Now I struggle with Neck Pain likely c5-7
PT, injections, rhizotomy.......MRI and CT Myleo not consistent with pain symptoms, waiting that out, keeping my passport valid
Old 03-13-2009, 01:36 AM

Well the first one really worked - the second I think the doc missed and not to mention he was an idiot and I changed docs and He said he hit it, I like him. I just work in a very physical job as a Sous Chef and very hard on the back as well as the body - so I was just wanting some feedback