Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss OK Now what can I expect in the Main forums forums; Some of you know me - I am a chef - very physical job. Anterlothesis of L5-S1 - L5 tear and L3-...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 11:20 PM

Default OK Now what can I expect

Some of you know me - I am a chef - very physical job. Anterlothesis of L5-S1 - L5 tear and L3-4 have bulges. Have done 3 epideral injections with nothing - I have a new doc - he does not want to do another - pain has increased significant enough to keep me awake and no comfort "nuetral" zone. This new doc calls and checks on me and wants to meet up to discuss what the next step is gonna be --- can anyone prepare me for what the next step is gonna be - I hate looking like an idiot - but some of the things discussed here are over my head - any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-17-2009, 12:17 AM

Jake,

There are a few of us here in the ATL area. Feel free to PM me for my phone number if you need to talk. JohnB would be another good source of the local (or loco) surgeons.

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:14 AM

So I am being sent oin for some options that the surgeon may want to do - knowing what you know ANtherlothesis of L5-S1 and L45 Bulges and L5 tear ---what do you think they are gonna want to do --- please be specific - maybe I should runa betting board - kidding to see who guesses the procedure tehyare gonna do me with
Old 03-19-2009, 09:33 AM

Based on my experiences, you'll most likely be offered fusion of some sort. I started off with one of the "hip and knee joints" in the metro area. 4 surgeons later I had 3 offers of multi-level fusion and one 3 level laminectomy plus fusion (must've been coupon day).

You're going to a clinic I have no experience with. They may have better doctors there. I hope they treat your problem and not your symptoms.

Good luck,

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:16 PM

My best advice to you is to get multiple opinions, and research what they are offering you. Don't jump into anything, without fully knowing what they are doing, and what it will mean for your future.

I think Mark will be all right with me posting other web sites, as I believe he understands that it is best for all patients to have as much information as they can get. This site- spine-health.com -has a lot of good information on procedures and conditions. It really helped me to understand the anatomy of my back, my condition specifically, and different treatments from conservative to surgeries.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 AM

Default thanks

Thanks for that site - I am still trying to get my brain around it and the terms are confusing now
Old 03-24-2009, 12:39 AM

Default I have two apts

I have one with a Dr Penny at Gwinett which my wife says has a bad reputation with the patients that they have (wife is FNP and runs a physician practice) the other is a Dr ROger --- jeez I forgot his last name...so I am going to listen to both before I do anything -- I am really struggling to stay at MY work standard as a chef and really get to hurting about 5 hours in a 10 hr day