Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss runner's surgery blog, L4/5, 2008 in the Main forums forums; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Phylly, Thanks for the advice. Called the doc and he called back and said I might have bursitis. Plan is ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 06:28 AM

Default 4-6-2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phylly,

Thanks for the advice. Called the doc and he called back and said I might have bursitis. Plan is to take it easy and take Naprosyn or Aleve and see how it is Monday. Might have to go get an x-ray on Monday. Now, at least I am sleeping better as Aleve helps. Never a dull moment with this recovery.

Slackwater,

Thank you.
You are not crazy.
From what my doctor told me, the ALIF (fusion) approach is the same for ADR, so the cost difference is the devices--the disc vs. hardware for fusion.
The two-level is a more extensive surgery of course, just like a two-level fusion would be.
So basically, it is the same surgery as fusion, approach-wise, except for what is put between the vertebrae.

My doctor told me that when he had people get denied by their health insurance, and exhausted appeals, they would usually opt for fusion instead.
But not me.
I think he admired my pluck.

When it came down to ADR, there was no better surgery for me. I just followed my neurosurgeon's first choice. Why would anyone want the second choice? It didn't matter to me, either, that my doc is said to do excellent fusions. I was thinking about the future and wanted my best chance to avoid future surgeries.
And I wanted to preserve my mobility.

I refused too to listen to the negative rhetoric from other doctors, instead I did my own research and trusted my doctor.

When doctors want this surgery themselves when they end up with the same problem, that tells you that you are onto the correct path.

I may be a little crazy, but I always have a plan. I believe as more people stand up for their rights, the more this surgery will be done in the US and the more it will become a standard.
I looked carefully also at the contraindications and I had none. That was important to me as I did not want to do anything foolish. I couldn't believe the misinformation out there about ADR.

Happy hunting.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:29 AM

Default 4-6-2008

I too, have had bursitis since my ADR. I had the same level as you. My surgeon did two cortisone injections about six weeks apart and it has helped a lot.

Can't help with the insurance problems for ADR but I will say, I did a grievance for the BRAVO wireless esophageal testing device in January and it actually got approved. My doctor was amazed and asked if he could use me as an example as I'm the first that has had it approved. Hopefully they will "catch up" with ADR like they did with this procedure. GOOD LUCK!! Keep fighting.
physical therapy/pain med no success
Refuse Fusion
Bone scan shows L5-S1 pars defect will hold ADR @ L4-5
7/31/07 pro-disc L4-5 Dr. Robert Watkins Jr. Marina Spine Institute-Mari

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:32 AM

Default 4-9-2008

hi ,
below is a link to the manufacturer site, of interest may be the template for the 'letter of medical necessity', the patient leter of appeal prior to surgery-, the 'physician letter of appeal prior to surgery'. also, if you go to the 2nd link there is access to the fda approval info for the disc l.

not sure if this is useful but thought it may be of interest. good luck,

L4/5, L5/S1 disc prolapses post wakeboarding accident Oct 06 (grade 5 and grade 4 annular disruption, repectively). 2X epidural steroid injections, lots of drugs and conservative treatment, positive discogram. Surgery May 08 (L4/5 A-Mav disc replacement and L5/S1 ALIF)

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:33 AM

Default 4-13-2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello OsteoRach,

Thank you for the links.
Can always use some information. Even though I have been on a lot of sites, I always find something new.

Take care.

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:36 AM

Default 4-18-2008

Hello, Judy.

I haven't had to have any injections yet. I hope I won't get any and this bursitis will go away. After looking on this board and another, it seems that hip bursitis is real common after fusion or ADR operations.
I thought I was rid of the hip ache until I went out today and probably over did it. Back to icing now.
If this is my biggest problem right now, I am doing pretty good.
At the five week post-op period, I have no sciatica to speak of, have little like muscle aches in my legs, slight tingling or warmth in my extremities off and on, and my pain is decreasing until I go out in the world.

I feel like I really should use my walker in public. Today, I was at a mail place and a lady ran into me pretty hard. And I had my brace on and nothing over it.

I feel like sometimes I am a sitting target. After all, I don't move that fast, to prevent collisions. LOL.

Still experiencing fatigue. I went out twice today and am ready to hit the hay, but ER is on tonight.

Judy, who was your grievance with?
If you didn't see, the District Attorney Rocky Delgadillo, brought civil action against WellPoint, which Blue Cross of California is a subsidary, yesterday.
Finally, there might be some justice. We will have to wait and see.

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 AM

Default 4-19-08

Quote:
Originally posted by runner:
At the five week post-op period, I have no sciatica to speak of, have little like muscle aches in my legs, slight tingling or warmth in my extremities off and on, and my pain is decreasing until I go out in the world.

I feel like sometimes I am a sitting target. After all, I don't move that fast, to prevent collisions. LOL.

Slow movement in public places makes me a moving target too, and no surgery, chuckling on this side.

Physical Therapy article from Australia is linked below if you have time to read and bandwidth. The PT people, Physiomax, Queensland-Australia, authors, work with Dr. Matthew Scott-Young, see March 2006 Link, 622 KB.

Dr. Young, Australia, did an abstract for AANS-CNS 2007 Annual Meeting, on his experience over ten (10) years of doing single-level disc replacements (article.link).

Slackwater
mva: two-level lumbar surgical candidate

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:40 AM

Default 4-19-2008

Thanks Slackwater,

I think I can use that 10-year study, so very helpful. Thanks for the Aussie link too, because I have been gathering articles for my physical therapists when I start PT.
Thanks a lot.
Yup, I am a non-moving target, plenty of people have run into me before but I was quite surprised the other day. The lady did say she was sorry, but I don't think people notice braces like they see walkers or wheelchairs.
I have to be careful.

One thing I felt after surgery was the feeling of being fragile. Oh well. Monday I have another doc appt and get some x-rays and will see how I am doing.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:41 AM

Default 5-5-2008

Hello out there to fellow lumbar disc patients,

I just finished listening to the live webcast put on from Miami, and found it very interesting.
Well, now I am almost eight weeks out after surgery and feel that I kind of have plateued in as far as pain improvement last week and how energenic I am.
I am taking less narcotics but still have some pain, which is increased with activity. So I have been weaning off my brace, which my doctor instructed me to, and not overdoing it.
I would like some comments about how other people remember feeling at 8 weeks.
Thanks.

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:42 AM

Default 5-5-2008

Hi

At around eight week I was pretty disappointed that I wasn't doing as well as I had anticipated. The inital euphoria of having the surgery had worn off and I felt worse at the 8-12 week mark than I did at 6 weeks. However, things did improve with time and I am a world better than pre-op; all that is now a distant memory and at over four years I have no regrets about having the lumbar surgery.

Take good care and give it time.

Best wishes

Lynda

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:44 AM

Default 5-5-2008

Looking back at my posts, one weeks was up and the next down. Even now at 5 months I am just coming out of a bad month but feeling a lot better. This is not the recovery I expected.
Phylly
Prodisc ADR surgery L4-L5-S1 November 2007 Dr. Delamarter
Decompression surgery L4-S1 for left sided sciatica July 2008
Continued back pain, looking at possible fusion
Removal of Prodiscs and L4-S1 fusion February 2009