Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Post-op Follow Up? in the Main forums forums; For those who had ADR surgery OVERSEAS (ie. Stenum): 1. Do you have a doctor in the USA for a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 08:25 AM

Default Post-op Follow Up?

For those who had ADR surgery OVERSEAS (ie. Stenum):

1. Do you have a doctor in the USA for a follow up of your ADR surgery?

2. Did anyone NEED to fly back to ADR doctor for a follow up appointment?

3. Did anyone have any complications flying back to the US from your ADR surgery?

4. Does the european hospital give you post-op medication (antibiotics, blood thinners, pain killers)?

5. Did you need to refill your medication by a US doctor?

6. Did anyone have another x-ray/MRI of your ADR in the US? Who did you go through, your general physician or your last spine doctor?

7. Is it safe for a MRI to scan an ADR device?!?!?!?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:52 AM

1. Do you have a doctor in the USA for a follow up of your ADR surgery?

Yes, I asked my pain management Dr and an ortho surgeon if they would see me for follow up.

2. Did anyone NEED to fly back to ADR doctor for a follow up appointment?

I'm only 3 weeks post operative. Hopefully this won't be an issue.

3. Did anyone have any complications flying back to the US from your ADR surgery?

I had to travel alone. The stresses and strains of travel eased after 4 or 5 days. I had no real complications though.

4. Does the european hospital give you post-op medication (antibiotics, blood thinners, pain killers)?

I had taken my own prescription with me for pain. They provided Heparin syringes for daily use until I was back in the US. Pre-op antibiotics were all I needed.

5. Did you need to refill your medication by a US doctor?

Yes, but only the meds he prescribed prior to surgery. Most of the meds used in Europe aren't available in the US (as we know them at least). The PM Dr. is very helpful (and curious) about the 2 ADRs. He's offered his home number in case I need it.

6. Did anyone have another x-ray/MRI of your ADR in the US? Who did you go through, your general physician or your last spine doctor?

I'm going to have one next week (4 weeks post-op) for my own peace of mind. My family doctor is on board too.

7. Is it safe for a MRI to scan an ADR device?!?!?!?

From what I understand, it's safe but the images are blurred due to the metallic content of the disc(s).

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have. PM me if you need more information.

Good luck!

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:08 PM

Yes, an American doctor should see your surgical follow-up. This should be in place prior to your surgery with your first appointment scheduled shortly after your return. He will prescribe all follow up x-rays and necessary meds.

Flying back is difficult but I know no one who had any major setback. Just some minor stuff. Unless there is a major complication that needs revision surgery, there is no need to fly back to Germany.

If an MRI is needed, I'm pretty sure as you stated, only the ADRs will not be clear.