Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss How long after ADR did you drive??? in the Main forums forums; Hey everyone, I have my 6 week follow up this week (even though it will only be 5 weeks). I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 08:17 PM

Default How long after ADR did you drive???

Hey everyone,
I have my 6 week follow up this week (even though it will only be 5 weeks). I was wondering how long you were told not to drive after surgery?

I saw my pm dr. at 2 week post op and they said not to drive yet. She said it was partly because I was only 2 weeks post op; but also because of the high dose of oxycodone I was on. At the time, I was on 12- 10mg Oxycodone a day (I was on 5 or 6- 10mg Hydrocodone before surgery (this was cut down from 2-20mg Morphine and 4 or 6- 10mg Hydrocodone a day)). She said that with the new high dose, after not being on heavy narcotics for a month, that it impaired me (and I agree, it did). I am now on 4 or 5- 10mg oxycodone a day and don't feel the 'drug fog' anymore. I am dying to drive; but don't want to do anything to screw up my surgery. The only reason I can think of why I shouldn't drive, is that the twisting and turning required to check my blindspot, would be too much on me right now.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:03 AM

Kathy,
I was told 6 weeks with my ADR. I waited at least that until I felt comfortable. With this fusion I waited about 5 weeks and used a plastic bag to slide in easily on the seat. Definitely wait until you are comfortable because you have to twist more than you think. I just started with short drives to the pharmacy. I am glad you are doing so well. Youa are almost there.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 04-20-2009, 01:35 AM

I am the worst example to follow but, sometimes necessity dictates our actions. We live in Northern Michigan and my wife is not a good driver in the Wintertime. Even though I love her, she has bashed more cars than you can possibly believe. In order to keep her safe, along with other people on the road, I drive her all Winter long to wherever she needs to go. I had the 4 level ADR surgery on November 4th, returned home on November 17th, drove her to work on November 18th. I continued to drive thereafter. In mid-December, a little over a month out of surgery, I drove us 10.5 hours home for Christmas. I drove her Mother everywhere, for the holiday shopping, for the next two weeks, then drove home 10.5 hours on Christmas Day so that we could open our store for the day after Christmas sale. I then went to work at exactly two months to the day from my surgery. I believe it is best to wait due to the safety issue of having someone rear-end you after such a major surgery. It could cause extreme harm from the force of the impact. Like I said, I am a lousy example. I was also on 10 - 20 mg. of Methadone for pain management which is a small dose. I did not require more than that for pain management other than the large doses of Lyrica that I was on.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 04-21-2009, 03:51 AM

I drove at 1.5 weeks, short 15 minute city drives, automatic, no stick shift.
Then at 4 weeks I drove 1.5 hours of freeway which was longer then I was able to drive before the surgery with less problems but it was a little long as I had a hard time getting out of the car and it hurt pretty good but for a much shorter time then before.

I was told the risk of being in a car is that of a collision which *might* dislocate or do damage to the adr very early after the surgery but that otherwise there as no reason why I would not be able to drive a car as the adr would not care.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:14 AM

Thank you for your replies. I'm more than ready to give it a try!

Terry- How long did you wait to get back on your bike? I am not an avid biker or anything; but enjoy riding with my kids in the neighborhood. With Spring here, they are wanting to ride all the time and I have to walk, so I have to keep yelling stop and wait for mommy. Our neighborhood isn't flat either, but not big hills and sometimes I pull my younger one in the bike trailer (used to let the older one ride; but she is too heavy for my weak rear!) Thanks in advance, Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-21-2009, 05:10 AM

I was given the OK to drive 2 weeks post ALIF but I can't recommend it because instead of twisting to see the blind spot, I had to take it on blind faith that no one was there. I didn't really do much driving until about 4 weeks, until there was someplace other than my couch where I'd actually enjoy being.
At 2 months, last week, the surgeon gave me the OK to ride a bike, which I can't quite picture myself doing yet. His only caveat was " Don't fall."
Old 04-21-2009, 05:37 PM

drove short distances (to work, store, etc) at 2 weeks post op. Drove 9 hours to my moms at 6 weeks post op and back home the same distance at 7 weeks!

Driving hurt for probably 2.5 months post op.
1995:diagnosed with bulging disc C5/6
2000:disk herniated
2000-2004:multiple treatments including nerve root block, trigger point injections, epidural steroid injections, pt
2005-2008: pain meds and muscle relaxers only
ProDisc-C replacement on c5/c6 11/18/08
Old 04-22-2009, 05:00 AM

One way to overcome the blindspot is to adjust the side mirrors out far enough where you do not see the side of *your own* car anymore in the mirror. "You know where your car is so you do not need to see it in your mirrors". This takes a little getting used to but you will find that if you pass with care only when you are sure you can do it without turning your head. I know this because I have cervical problems and the twisting motions cause me a lot of trouble.
You will realize that with the tail of a passing car dissappears in your side mirror the front of the car will show up next to you and you can see in the side of your eye.

Not much different then towing big trailers etc where you can't see much behind.
Only pass if safe.

I still can't drive for more then 1.5 maybe 2 hours then pain goes up. Luckily stopping and taking breaks helps.