Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss dynesys: 15 months post-surgery, I'm good! in the Main forums forums; My dynesys is at L4-L5. It was installed early April 2008, but a defective screw came loose and my ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 01:58 PM

Default dynesys: 15 months post-surgery, I'm good!

My dynesys is at L4-L5. It was installed early April 2008, but a defective screw came loose and my right side was done again in late April 08. These represent spine surgeries #6 and #7. This was for deteriorated facet joints and instability (spondylolisthesis).

Early fusions and partial laminectomies in my cervical spine (1998-2002) were ultimately successful in relieving most symptoms.

Anyway - I sympathize with those suffering. I do understand. I want to share a positive outcome. After several months of PT, I started doing Bikram yoga again 5 months post surgery. I did it, but not well. I have been averaging 2 or 3 times per week ever since. Again, I am not able to do many of the poses, but the exercise has been great.

I dieted and lost some weight, though I could drop another 10 or 15 pounds. I started strength training approx 1 year post surgery. I am lifting weights and doing strength training with a personal trainer twice per week. I have been bicycling at least once per week for the past month and can go up to 15 miles. I have been canoeing four times in the past two weeks. I'm often stiff and sore after biking or canoeing and need to ice, but I'm doing it. The worst thing is to do too much general lifting. While exercising with weights, lifting is more controlled. In the real world it's easy to lift wrong, and I have hurt myself. I try to avoid any heavy lifting, but when I have to, I try to be focused and do it properly. It's best not to.

My purpose in writing this is to provide some hope to others. I am a success story. I'm still 52. I'm still aging. I still have pain - but much reduced. I'll never be the same guy I was in my 20s, but my quality of life has been greatly improved since having the dynesys installed.

If your pain is reduced enough to exercise, I personally believe that exercise is at least as important to your improvement as the surgery itself. Do the work, and try to be as healthy as you can be.

Good luck to all of you.

Four neck surgeries, 2 fusions C5C6 C6C7
Partial laminectomy at L3L4 L4L5
Currently considering dynesys at L4L5
Old 07-24-2009, 05:52 PM

Hi Art and welcome to the forum,

Thanks for sharing your success story and the key that you and many others feel is an important element to a successful recovery.

Dale