Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Questions about "nerves" after cervical ADR surgery ??? in the Main forums forums; Fourm members, I am 2-1/2 months post cervical ADR surgery c5/5,c6/7,c/7 t/1 ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 06:42 AM

Default Questions about "nerves" after cervical ADR surgery ???

Fourm members,

I am 2-1/2 months post cervical ADR surgery c5/5,c6/7,c/7 t/1 and have some questions. I experiencing some pain when I cough or gag ( brushing teeth/goings) that shoots down my lower neck and into my lower left shoulder blade are about 2-1/2 3 inchs lower than my c7 t1 area. I also get the same pain sensation when I flex my heAd to far forward same area exactly. I am scared that maybe I have something wrong with the ADR or maybe a lower herniation I. My thoracic are, but my MRI showed t1 t2 to be fine. So is this normal and is it to soon to be worried. I had this pain before surgery and I am hoping that maybe since rye c7 t1 herniation caused a great deal of nerve root compression that maybe when my surgeon went in to clean it out that he irritated the nerve all over again and it is really pissed off. So is this somewhat normal and does the flexion improve continually with time! I am not in excruating pain but more like a dull ache that intensifies with a cough, gag or flexion forward of the neck to far. Would a thoracic herniation cause these symptoms or am I over reacting. Mark ur insight would also greatly be appreciated. I have no chest or rib pain and it is def in my lower trapezious are in-between my spine and shoulder blade muscle. I asked my surgeon about this through email and he said give it time, so I thought I would ask forum members who have stated about the pain in-between the shoulder blade area after there cervical procedure if they would chime in and maybe tell me what they experienced so I can calm my nerves.

Thank you all very much....
Jarrod
Old 02-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Jarrod,

did you get t-spine mri before surgery? If so that should answer any question about the condition of your t-spine.

The pain you describe between the shoulder blade sounds like the typical referred pain from lower cervical issues. I had this pain and it was largely resolved by my cervical ADR.

You are kind of stuck waiting it out. Unless something drastic happens, you have to wait and see. Do not expect to be pain free following such a big (or any) spine surgery. We look to get better, but perfect is for the lucky few.

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 02-27-2011, 11:59 PM

Mark,

I recently had a cervical and thoracic MRI done and sent them to Dr. Clavel for his review. The thoracic looks good to me (untrained eye), there is no bulges on the spinal cord, you can see the cord from t1 - t12. The cervical mri was distorted where the 3 m6 cervical discs are, but on one of the scans from the side you can see the spinal cord looks good no bulges or pressure. So I'm stuck withbthis annoying ache in my lower inner trap area ( left side. I can't feel it when I sneeze, but when I cough or sniffle through my nose it let's me kno it's there, so I'm awaiting Dr. Clavels opinion on this ache. Also feel this ache intensify when I bring my head in to my body ( opposite of what a chickens neck does when it walks). I am hoping like my d
It is just the nerve at c7/t1 being really mad and trying to settle down from all the trama it has endured in the past 5 months ( initial herniation, then ADR surgery). I'm trying to be patient as I have read from others that it can take 6 months to a full year for mad nerves to settle down and get comfortable in your body. Maybe I'm just one of those people who take awhile longer to heal.

One weird thing is today I helped my girlfriend move and was pick up tables and items over my head and had no issues with the ache in the lower trap area, yet sometimes with simple walking I can feel it as though the nerve is loose, moving around or something, so I just don't know also when I jog no ache, so maybe I'll just relax and see if it improves with time. I sure hope so as it is very annoying when it acts up. Again thanks for your input on the matter. Also if any others have had a similar ache pain like this please chime in and let me know if it eventually went away.

God bless, Jarrod
Old 03-01-2011, 09:37 PM

Hello everyone,

Mark I received my results from my thoracic and cervical mri. Not so good, small posterior central disc protrusion at t2-t3. Posterior broad based annular disc buldge slightly to the right at t4-t5. And posterior broad based spondylitic buldge is identified with congentially short pedicles at t10-t11. No additional disc protrusions or central canal stenosis noted throughout the thoraic spine.

Im worried, but kinda not because I think heavy body building played a role as i have done it for 15 years and these buldges are a combo of that and natural where and tear. Sucks though cause i never had any spine trouble until 2010. I have no real symptoms from these buldges execpt for maybe t2-t3, which may be giving me that ache below my c7-t1 disc replacement. No band like numbness or abdominal pain just an achy area that feels like it needs to be massaged. This same area is affected with that flexion and inward moton of my neck. So that leads me to believe that it has to do with my cervical spine. After all i did have a 3 level cervical adr just 3 months ago. I emailed the report and images to Dr. Clavel and he is awsome at getting back to me, even with all my questions he is so good at answering them in a timely manner. So maybe I just not bodybuild anymore and just try and use the lighter weight for function strength and let my body and spine relax for the duration, man how I loved the sport though!! Cant be he-man forever i suppose.

I have a question, should I still do my flexion exercises if i feel discomfort at the lower end of the movement. When my chin gets close to my chest (2 inches) it starts to irritate my left forarm. i was thinking maybe ill just let my normal movements guide my neck and with time and my body being adjusted to the new discs this will go away. Thats the game plan for now. Just want to say thank you for your responses Mark. I know how busy you are and how your own spine issues can get in the way of normal life. May everyone be well.

Jarrod

Last edited by Jarrod; 03-01-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:47 PM

Hi Jarrod,
I have had a lot of surgery on my spine recently . It just seems if i add my 2cents worth that you are doing an awful lot at only 3 months out from major surgery. Did your doc ok all of this. I would cut back and rest a little more if i were you.
i am not one to rest, trust me, but it is early and a lot of healing still has to take place. It may all go away in time and i hope it does.
I am having twinges and pains from my sept 24th long surgery T2-L2 osteotomies and fusion and then i did get back to hiking too early i think. so i did just as you, but now with my cervical osteotomy and redu of the thoracic fusion i am at 2 months and am being good and only walking and just started doing cleaning and the not fun stuff around the house.

so , my friend, rest some more, cut back on activities a bit.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 03-05-2011, 08:23 PM

Judy,

I think you are right, I am just expecting to much too soon. I have such a busy life school, work, family, its just nuts! I have not done anything to strenous though, as far as lifting or such. I just need to realize that my spinal nerves are frazzled from all the trauma over the past 5 months. So I thank you for reminding me to slow my role and let my body heal for a long time. Maybe 3 months per disc which equals 9 months total. I forget that they went in from the front to get to the back and replaced three discs, so maybe im expected to be a little achy for the first year. I read about the fast healers who have had symptoms for years and i get discouraged cause i was hoping to be one of them, but as the draw would have it, I am not.

Please do not think i am not happy, i have tolerable pain/aches that I deal with without any medication. I am hoping that one day I will wake up and this pain in my lower shoulder blade will begin to fade and that i can get through the days without having it on my mind. I also kno that with my two shoulder surgeries it took me almost 9 months each to be pain free with no restrictions, so I know i am a slow healer. I hope not to come across as a complainer, but rather someone who seeks experience from others so I might have a timetable as to what is expected. c7-t1 is a hard disc to get info on as there are few who have had this disc replaced, so I take those who have upper back aches and pain from c6-c7 adr to heart so I might realize that if they too have shoulder blade pain then I should too because my disc was 1 lower.

I am resting now, not pushing in anyway and seem to be getting along ok, achy but ok. No more forced flexion or doing things that might flare me up. So i am in a good place to understand that I had major surgery and that it takes alot longer than 3 months to be even close to my old self. I also have read many posts about people who took 9 months to a year to become their normal selves again, and even up to a year or more. I just like to vent sometimes and ask some questions to see if anyone can relate or add advive, so thank you very much. May you continue to heal and have totasl recovery.

Jarrod
Old 03-27-2011, 12:43 AM

Default Id like to see a picture of your cspine

As a three level fusion pt I would like to see what a four level adr looks like. I wish I could have known about adr before my first fusion.