Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Dr. Zeegers and Beta Klinik in the Main forums forums; I am about 11 weeks post surgical at Beta Klinik and Dr. Zeegers. Dr. Zeegers is a wonderful, caring compassionate ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 02:30 PM

Smile Dr. Zeegers and Beta Klinik

I am about 11 weeks post surgical at Beta Klinik and Dr. Zeegers. Dr. Zeegers is a wonderful, caring compassionate man and extremely talented doctor. This anterior approach surgery follows a radical posterior four level laminectomy in the U.S. 2007 which I came out of basically worse than I went in. Long story, but I ended up in Germany on the advice of a friend, but sought out my own doctor. I contacted Dr. Zeegers who engaged with me on a lengthy phone call. I was sold after talking to him and I was also urgently in need of surgery. No time to go through all the hoops with my new insurance company. Within about two weeks I had my schedule and costs from Beta Klinik. Everything was outstanding and almost unbelievable. I had a planned four level intervention with three LDR Medical ROI-C cages and one Mobi-C. After six hours, all Dr. Zeegers could complete was a single level fusion at C4 due to a petrified disc and "rock hard like granite" bone spurs. (Zeegers words). However, my recovery is remarkable with excellent gains the past three weeks. I went in with twitching, cramping, etc. throughout my body and with both arms shutting down. I feel like a new person and hopefully avoid another surgery. Zeegers great! Beta Klinik awesome! LDR ROI-C high tech and FDA approved in the U.S.! :

Background:
I am 57 year old male U.S. Resident (Southern California)

Nature of Spine Issues:
28 years ice hockey, barefoot water skiing (and face plants).

Diagnosis:
Degenerative cervical spine disease, herniated discs, bulging discs, stenosis C4, C5, C6, C7.

Treatments:
Epidural, trigger point injections, chiropratic, physical therapy, traction, e-stim, Myo-pulse therapy, facet joint injections, massage.

Meds:
Valium (muscle relaxant) Baclofen, Neurontin (stopped taking) marijuana (cannabis indica)

Cannabis Indica:
I am not a drug addict, habitual drug user, hippie, doper, or any of those things. I own two businesses and am a typical straight laced conservative. Essentially by accident, I found that marijuana was very effective in helping get relief from my pain in the late stages before my 2011 surgery. I obtained a medical marijuana card from a doctor so I was legal as far as California is concerned. Cannabis has basically two strains; sativa and indica. 100% indica provides pain relief and muscle relaxation. I started using indica at at night, after work and before bed. Do not use sativa as it is psycho active and you won't sleep. Indica feels like the best pain med x10. I am a proponent of legal medicinal marijuana. Our government has succeeded in casting it as some sort of evil voodoo substance. It is not. It really helped me through some very tough days. I was open and honest about this with Dr. Zeegers as well.

Condition before surgery:
Full melt down. I was unable to work. I was stable post surgery 2007 until about mid 2010. I had a sudden worsening of my condition culminating in neuropathy, muscle spasms, cramping in my feet, arms, hands, forearms, triceps and biceps. I had muscle atrophy in my triceps. The only relief was use of cannabis indica which was very beneficial for pain relief and relaxing muscles. I needed surgery immediately. I was miserable both physically and mentally.

Dr. Zeegers:
I found Dr. Zeegers through internet research. I contacted him by email and he promptly called me. We had a profound discussion and I knew right then this was my guy. I sent him all my prior imaging and he confirmed what he already knew and started to develop a game plan. Within weeks I was on my way to Germany. Upon arrival in Cologne, I went to Munich to see Dr. Baumbach, the neurologist Dr. Zeegers teams with. Unbelievable six hour exam, interview and testing then video conference with Dr. Zeegers. Zeegers is extremely thorough and is striving for the "perfect diagnosis". He leaves nothing to speculation or chance. Next back to Bonn for another round of current imaging then final surgical plan from Dr. Zeegers. All this time Dr. Zeegers spends A LOT of time going over films and discussing the surgery plan. He is totally professional, dedicated beyond words to his patient (me) and just inspires confidence. There was no doubt in my mind that I had made the right choice. This is very important when you sign informed consent documents! The same with post surgical follow up. He is awesome and has been responsive and engaging both in Germany and now when I am back home recovering. Listen to me U.S. citizens; can you imagine such compassion, care and personal attention from a U.S. doctor?

Beta Klinik:
Located along the Rhine River in a modern office complex just outside Bonn, Germany. Like having surgery in an Apple store. God Bless Steve Jobs! Pristinely clean, bright white walls, gray accents, bamboo floors. The staff was fantastic. No matter what time of day or night my nurse was in my room within 30 seconds when I rang my call button. There are about six or so patient rooms. State of the art in everything. Could not be better.

Recovery:
Stayed next door at the Kameha Grand Hotel. Upgraded to a suite. Again, a great stay and wonderful staff. Very convenient for follow up visits to Beta Klinik. A really good restaurant Romuelle (?) next door with outdoor dining along the Rhine. Make sure to take about E2,000 as many places do not take credit cards, contrary to what I was told by friends. I had a lot of daily ups and downs, but overall an upward trend line for about six weeks. Then things really started to move forward. I am so excited to feel the healing and restoration taking place in my body and neck at this time. Dr Zeegers quote "time is your friend". So now we'll see what the next 3-6 months bring.

Cost:
About $45,000 U.S. dollars including last minute, expensive plane fare, meals, surgery, hotel, cab fares. Cost for Dr. Zeegers and Beta Klinik is depending on your particular condition. Contact them directly as I am only conveying my experience. My stay in Germany gate to gate was 16 days. If you decide on Germany, plan as far in advance as you can, avoid the summer season to save on travel costs.

Please ask me anything regarding C-spine. I feel your pain! I am happy to talk.

Last edited by schlagelj; 10-16-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: update
Old 10-16-2011, 05:35 PM

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for taking the time to write of a really positive experience.
I am glad you had such a great experience and wish you continued pain free times.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 10-16-2011, 06:45 PM

Hi schlagelj and welcome to the forum,

If I read correctly, you were supposed to have a 4 level procedure but due to circumstances only one level was done and yet, this one level has resolved your symptoms? This is indeed wonderful.

You chose well with Dr. Zeegers. He is one of the absolute premier back surgeons in the world. He is everything you said.

Good luck with a continued great recovery and please keep us posted.

Dale
Old 10-16-2011, 07:03 PM

You are correct, except I am not totally "resolved" but have dramatic improvement.....after only about 10 weeks! I am optimistic I may avoid further surgery. I spoke with Dr. Zeegers yesterday and he gave me an explanation of what is happening. His fantastic work at C4, which he deems a critical level in the cervical spine, may be enough to negate the issues at the other levels, or at least restore me to a level of comfort and function that I can avoid more surgery.