Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Long term recovery after emergency operation to stabilise T11 burst fracture in the Main forums forums; Hi, sorry, I am new here and not sure if this is the right place to post or if similar ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 01:59 PM

Default Long term recovery after emergency operation to stabilise T11 burst fracture

Hi, sorry, I am new here and not sure if this is the right place to post or if similar topics already exist although I couldn't find any.

I'm 29 years old and 11 months ago I fell whilst rock climbing which resulted in a burst fracture to the T11 vertebrae. The surgeon operated the next morning and placed pins and rods to stabilise the fracture. He told me that I should make a full recovery and that I should not have any lasting pain once I was completely healed. I never had any discomfort or pain in my legs at the time of the accident.
Now I have full range of movement again and I can do most things without too much pain as long as I don't over do it. The exception to this is that I find sitting for long periods of time very painful and have been getting a numbness/pins and needles feeling down my right leg. I am also unable to drive for longer than 45 min without it becoming painful.
Has anyone else had this type of injury or does anyone know the long term recovery? Is this normal? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:18 PM

Default re recovery

Hi Lauren and Welcome
re the symptoms you're experiencing currently I'd wonder if you might not have a lower lumbar disc aggravation or is that some adjacent disc level type of stuff going on.

Even as I wrote the above I have to tell you that I don't know much about thoracic problems tho I have had lumbar probs for about 30 years and some of the symptoms you mentioned tho with L4 and L5S1 and L3 probs. Mostly L5S1 and L4 tho.

I hope perhaps Mark will see your post and reply and some others that are more familiar with thoracic issues/recovery and such.

take care and again, welcome! Maria
Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 PM

Lauren,

When I read about your symptoms, the same thoughts came to me as Maria. I wonder if you did not hurt the next disc down or another disc when you injured yourself.
Things like annular tears can be missed on diagnostic imaging.
I had leg numbness, pain down my legs (i.e. sciatica with both my L4/5 and L5/S1 discs) and that is a common symptom of nerve compression or irritation, along the sciatic nerve.
IMHO, I would go back to your original surgeon after one year has passed, sooner if your symptoms worsen, and tell him what you feel. We are kind of shooting in the dark, guessing what the symptoms mean but he should give you some answers.
Sometimes surgeons tell you that you should expect no more numbness/tingling because they are alerting you that if you have that, you should investigate further.
Good luck with your problem.

Runner
Old 05-07-2013, 08:13 AM

Thank you both for taking the time to reply to me. I have an appointment with the surgeon in June so hopefully I can resolve the problem.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 AM

Hi Lauren,
I had thoracic surgery on the T11-12 area but the pain never radiated to my legs. Now my lumbar problems have caused endless problems with my legs and pain and weakness. It sounds like lumbar issues to me, but i am only basing it on my own experience.
Do let us know what the results of your appointment in June are. We are all here for you.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 05-08-2013, 03:31 PM

Default re your symptoms and pain

Personally I'd try to get in to see the doctor sooner if possible just because it sounds like it could be lumbar related. It's not like you aren't experiencing symptoms irregardless of where they are coming from so to me it would make sense to see about getting seen sooner. Especially if this started and seems to be persistant. It does sound more like a low lumbar issue to me. This way if you have to have any diagnostics done you can get a jump on that order which means a jump on the results and maybe some form of treatment plan.

That's just how I see it. I do know often it's difficult to be seen any sooner than within a 1-2 month period with busy surgeons though still I would try.

You may have healed well from the thoracic surgery and not have any more probs there tho that doesn't mean the rest of your spine may not have probs. I hope not for your sake and even if you do I hope it's something that might be treated with something like epidural steroid injections or an even less invasive form of treatment (usually start off conservatively unless you've got something that requires emergent treatment/surgery as you already know).

Good luck! Maria

Last edited by Maria; 05-08-2013 at 03:39 PM.