Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss 1st post advice needed in the Main forums forums; I've been reading around on here for a few days and decided to register and throw out some questions, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 01:37 PM

Default 1st post advice needed

I've been reading around on here for a few days and decided to register and throw out some questions, thanks in advance for anyone that can help.

I'll try not to make it too long but want to put as much info in as I can. This all started about 2-1/2 years ago when I started noticing little problems that continued to worsen and new problems developed. I won't get into all the previous issues as the surgery is done and now I'm only dealing with the aftermath. The surgery was almost a year ago to the day, and as I stated it's been going on for over 2 years so I'm the typical "wait till it's extreme to see a doctor" kind of guy. By extreme I waited to the point I just collapsed and could no longer move.

What I thought to be just maybe a pinched nerve turned out to be a disc issue and ended up having the C4, C5, and C6 put back in place with plates. The Neurologist told me I was close, within a week or two, of never walking again. The MRI showed the spinal cord pinched almost completely off. Also he said something about the nerves coming from the spine being like an extension cord with the outer sheathing coming off. I don't remember exactly what it was called. With not having insurance I didn't want to keep getting MRI's every 3 months, so I'm taking my chances.

Fast forward to today and I feel a million times better, I used to have constant back and neck pain but I have none. What problems I do have seem to not get any worse but not get any better. I'm hoping maybe someone can relate and recommend maybe something that may help in my situation. Like I said, I don't like to run to doctors and I really don't care for all the meds they were trying to push. I turned down the pain killers after the surgery and stuck it out with aspirin.

Now for the issues. I have a terrible itch on my right rib cage right below my chest that drives me completely insane. I have bought some anti itch lotions and crèmes and they do absolutely nothing for it. I can scratch till it bleeds and no change.

My legs still act up, I have earned many nicknames, the most common being "wobbles" because of how I walk. I lose my balance easily and stumble a lot, which gets worse if I am physically active for prolonged periods. When walking sometimes my right leg will almost quit working, it just kinda drags along. It is somewhat challenging to walk uphill or downhill, and to run or even jog is completely out of the question they will not move at all for that. My legs twitch a lot, for instance sitting in a chair with my feet on tip-toe, or even driving and holding the brake at a stop. I also feel like what I would say restless leg, any time I lay down I have to continually move my legs or they twitch around and start to ache.

My feet are a new one since the surgery, they hurt bad sometimes. They seem super sensitive now. I have stopped putting lotion on them because I slip around on the tile like I have no traction and to even brush them up against the sheets feels like a tickle. The dried out scaly leathery feel seems to be best, but they still hurt. Also my right toes always feel like they are out of place, I try and pop them all the time but nothing happens.

I have lost a lot of my strength, mainly in my lower body but have suffered some in my upper as well. I would put the loss at the worst area at about 60%. I have a hard time sleeping, typically only 4-5 hours at a time, which has earned me a few other nicknames that I won't mention.

Some of these come and go, some get more intense at times. I have left out a few things that are more minor and would make this even longer. Some are the same as before the surgery, others are from after the surgery. I have started trying to make exercise a bigger part of my life.

I'm hoping someone can give me some thoughts, should I start seeing doctors again, or maybe target the area's through exercise or meds? If nothing else maybe this can turn out to be a warning for other "wait till it's extreme" people out there. Mostly I'm probably just rambling on and it's ok that you tell me so.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:20 PM

Default should you see a doctor again?

YES! The itch might be the easiest thing to address. To let it go until you scratch so hard it bleeds and it continues even w/over the counter products means it's time to see someone for a diagnosis.

What really concerns me is your complaints on the use of your extremities, your gait, the weakness etc. You need to follow up with your surgeon or with someone ASAP.

Don't know whether you may have other disc bulges, MS, RSD (which I believe is called something else now), neuropathies, ...

I just think it's seriously unwise to not seek medical attention at this point. If you live in the USA can you go to a county hospital for a reduced fee?

2 years post surgery plenty can change. Time to be checked out because you have enough symptoms to be of serious concern I think.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:14 AM

Default Hi,

See you general practioner at a minimum. A neurologist might be able to shed light on things if you are considered stable for your condition. I think it might be wrong to speculate considering the seriousness of your symptoms. Peace Brother and hang in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissheldon4 View Post
I've been reading around on here for a few days and decided to register and throw out some questions, thanks in advance for anyone that can help.

I'll try not to make it too long but want to put as much info in as I can. This all started about 2-1/2 years ago when I started noticing little problems that continued to worsen and new problems developed. I won't get into all the previous issues as the surgery is done and now I'm only dealing with the aftermath. The surgery was almost a year ago to the day, and as I stated it's been going on for over 2 years so I'm the typical "wait till it's extreme to see a doctor" kind of guy. By extreme I waited to the point I just collapsed and could no longer move.

What I thought to be just maybe a pinched nerve turned out to be a disc issue and ended up having the C4, C5, and C6 put back in place with plates. The Neurologist told me I was close, within a week or two, of never walking again. The MRI showed the spinal cord pinched almost completely off. Also he said something about the nerves coming from the spine being like an extension cord with the outer sheathing coming off. I don't remember exactly what it was called. With not having insurance I didn't want to keep getting MRI's every 3 months, so I'm taking my chances.

Fast forward to today and I feel a million times better, I used to have constant back and neck pain but I have none. What problems I do have seem to not get any worse but not get any better. I'm hoping maybe someone can relate and recommend maybe something that may help in my situation. Like I said, I don't like to run to doctors and I really don't care for all the meds they were trying to push. I turned down the pain killers after the surgery and stuck it out with aspirin.

Now for the issues. I have a terrible itch on my right rib cage right below my chest that drives me completely insane. I have bought some anti itch lotions and crèmes and they do absolutely nothing for it. I can scratch till it bleeds and no change.

My legs still act up, I have earned many nicknames, the most common being "wobbles" because of how I walk. I lose my balance easily and stumble a lot, which gets worse if I am physically active for prolonged periods. When walking sometimes my right leg will almost quit working, it just kinda drags along. It is somewhat challenging to walk uphill or downhill, and to run or even jog is completely out of the question they will not move at all for that. My legs twitch a lot, for instance sitting in a chair with my feet on tip-toe, or even driving and holding the brake at a stop. I also feel like what I would say restless leg, any time I lay down I have to continually move my legs or they twitch around and start to ache.

My feet are a new one since the surgery, they hurt bad sometimes. They seem super sensitive now. I have stopped putting lotion on them because I slip around on the tile like I have no traction and to even brush them up against the sheets feels like a tickle. The dried out scaly leathery feel seems to be best, but they still hurt. Also my right toes always feel like they are out of place, I try and pop them all the time but nothing happens.

I have lost a lot of my strength, mainly in my lower body but have suffered some in my upper as well. I would put the loss at the worst area at about 60%. I have a hard time sleeping, typically only 4-5 hours at a time, which has earned me a few other nicknames that I won't mention.

Some of these come and go, some get more intense at times. I have left out a few things that are more minor and would make this even longer. Some are the same as before the surgery, others are from after the surgery. I have started trying to make exercise a bigger part of my life.

I'm hoping someone can give me some thoughts, should I start seeing doctors again, or maybe target the area's through exercise or meds? If nothing else maybe this can turn out to be a warning for other "wait till it's extreme" people out there. Mostly I'm probably just rambling on and it's ok that you tell me so.