Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss 1 week away from ALIF (L5-S1) and Artificial Disc (L4-L5) in the Main forums forums; Hi all, I'm going in for my first (and hopefully last) spine surgery a week from today. I have ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 PM

Default 1 week away from ALIF (L5-S1) and Artificial Disc (L4-L5)

Hi all,

I'm going in for my first (and hopefully last) spine surgery a week from today. I have been diagnosed with degenerative scoliosis, DDD, and the typical other diagnosis’s that go along with that. C4-6, L2-S1 degenerated or herniated or what looks like crumbles. I'm only 35. Been dealing with this for nearly 7 years. Due to my job (air traffic control) I am unable to take meds, but I have been disqualified for the past few months and have been working admin as I cannot even begin to get out of bed or tie my shoes without pain meds. I am using the lowest possible drug so as to function, but obviously surgery (previously avoided for obvious reasons) is necessary to return me to a "normal" life.

I am scheduled for an ALIF of the L5-S1 and disc replacement of L4-L5. Going thru the stomach as my back muscles are shot and I was told recovery would be near impossible if they cut thru them.

I'm pretty concerned about my recovery. I'm in pain all of the time, at numbers close to 8-10 every day. I know this surgery isn't an option anymore as my job is now at risk, and I am no longer a functioning mother or wife. God bless the wonderful husband and children I have, as they do everything for me now. If I cannot get my pain under control, I may have to look at doing something other than controlling airplanes, like an office job (not a bad thing).

My passion on the side is making all-natural soaps, and even that has been interrupted by my pain.

Has anyone had this type of surgery before? Can you tell me what I can expect going in and the week I will be recovering at the hospital? What about at home? How long do you think I will be able to return to cooking or just doing some laundry?

Another question: I am out of sick leave due to the crap this back of mine has done to me recently. I am able to take advanced sick leave, but only 6 weeks. Will that be enough to tide me over? All I do at the office is sit in a chair at a computer or desk.

Thanks so much for the support.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:08 AM

Default re surgery

I think that it's best you set yourself up not to have to do anything for at least 6-8 weeks and to also expect to take at least that much time off from work if not maybe 12 weeks. Usually with jobs though I think we have our surgeons write for 6-8 weeks and then take more time in terms of extension of leave.

I have not had a fusion but have had 2 discectomies and the first one was a big open one so I was off for 8 weeks and then my surgeon asked for another month of leave for me so at 3 months I returned to work part time (RN/Nurse Practitioner). I was not able to see patients at the 3 month point so I was doing mostly administrative work (paperwork) and then gradually started seeing patients again. By 6 months I was back to work full time.

My 2nd discectomy did not go that well (it failed) so while I returned to work it was never full time after that.

Basically recoveries can be all over the place and that's why I think it's best to try to have yourself all set up so someone is doing everything for you for as long as you can have that re housework etc. and also try to get the most leave you can without jeopardizing your job.

Often surgeons give the time off that a very good surgery without any complications will take and sometimes it's way too short so I really try to get at least the 6-8 weeks. You'll most likely need all of that or should have it without pushing yourself or your body too much.

At least this is my advice but I've not had the degree of surgery you have (with fusion and ADR) so hopefully those that have had this surgery or similar can chime in and give you a better time frame for recovery perhaps!!

Please keep us posted on your surgery and recovery and meanwhile wishing you all the best with the surgery and your recovery! Maria
Old 12-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Soapmaker... any update following your surgery? I'm hoping for some good news!

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org