Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss New Member.Discectomy recovery advice needed in the Main forums forums; Could anyone please give me any advice as I really don’t know what to do.3 months ago I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 05:00 PM

Default New Member.Discectomy recovery advice needed

Could anyone please give me any advice as I really don’t know what to do.3 months ago I had a discectomy L3/L4 as I could no longer bear the pain and also developed slight foot drop. Straight after waking I had lost feeling in my right foot but was told it was quite normal and would take time. I was allowed home the same day but after a few days the pain was so bad my gp telephoned the hospital with concerns regarding how numb and cold my right foot was. I received a call to go into hospital to have it checked and was told again that it was quite normal for this to happen but they would like to keep an eye on it I would also be referred for some physio .I was put on crutches to help me walk has I had know balance. After 2 visits to physio I was told there wasn’t anything more they could do. To cut a long story short I had the surgery on the 30th of august and I had a follow up appointment last week where I was told they don’t know what’s going on or what to do and I need yet another MRI scan which is a 5 week waiting list. I am know different now to what I was a week after the surgery I am still on crutches as I have no control at all with my right foot. I am now thinking about visiting my gp to see if I can be referred to a different hospital as I just don’t know what else to do. Please could anybody advice me.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:39 PM

Default Re advice

I would definately try to get a 2nd opinion even if you have to pay cash or get it out of your locale. Also I think you should have had that MRI a while ago but as soon as possible would be best. Is the color and sensitivity of your foot intact and the temperature? For a simple discectomy that's not a normal outcome altho I'm sure does happen. I would hope here in the states the attention paid to the outcome would be better but that may depend on the surgeon's response and insurance status. Am sorry you are going thru this. Even with use of crutch with non functional foot you need to keep the rest of the leg active so as not to lose muscle and tone so PT can give you exercises for this if you're not already doing some.

Maria
Old 12-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Administrator

I'm so sorry that you are having such difficulties after what should be a very ordinary, low-risk surgery. If you have advancing neurologic deficits, I don't understand how there can be a 5 week wait for MRI? I would expect some urgency in this type of situation.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org