Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss M6-L L5-S1 Oct/2011 Feb 2014 told it's failing in the Main forums forums; Need to remove for personal reasons...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 04:46 PM

Default M6-L L5-S1 Oct/2011 Feb 2014 told it's failing

Need to remove for personal reasons

Last edited by vnf; 11-04-2014 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Need to remove for personal reasons
Old 07-09-2014, 06:48 PM

Default treatments so far

Last edited by vnf; 11-04-2014 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Need to remove for personal reasons
Old 07-09-2014, 06:58 PM

Default rhizotomy

Last edited by vnf; 11-04-2014 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Need to remove for personal reasons
Old 07-09-2014, 08:10 PM

Welcome Vicki, I am so glad that your rhizotomy helped. My rhizo in 2011 was a different story. Dr Kuaxian Liu did mine and I actually felt worse for quite a while. Could it be that it has calmed down some facet pain? I don't know this to be true and hopefully MM will chime in soon on this, but I believe that rhizotomies are geared to relieve facet pain. I could be wrong.

not nearly as many posters here, but it's all about quality not quantity anyway and the moderator 'Mark Mintzer' is 1st class
Coccyx dislocated / same fall (Cannot sit)
Aug 2011 pull-start generator - unrelenting low back pain - can only stand for 30 min
Nov 2011 -rhizotomy - makes things worse
22 hours/day in bed
June 2012 - present receiving facet injections every 4 months, only last one helped somewhat
L3-L5 ActivL Surgery w/Dr Zeegers April 16th
Doing great!!!!!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:56 PM

Default welcome.

Welcome vicki! Glad to see you on this forum

As I mentioned on the other thread. Your in good hands with Dr zeegers. Herny and mark where both great answering questions along helping me with the unknown.

I hope nothing but the best for you .

Your friend Karger
Activ-l

Recovering and doing great!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:53 PM

Default rhizo

Old 07-11-2014, 01:24 PM

Has Dr zeegers come back to you with any theorys?

Karger
Activ-l

Recovering and doing great!
Old 07-12-2014, 04:07 AM

Default still waiting decision

Last edited by vnf; 11-04-2014 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Need to remove for personal reasons
Old 07-12-2014, 02:48 PM

What a dilemma. You will undoubtedly be haunted by this decision. My instincts say the M6 should come out, for what it's worth. Perhaps the docs who say it can stay in, are saying that because they are not up to the task of taking out the M6. Too many surgeons IMO make recommendations based on their limited abilities and instead of saying 'I think you should do X, and I'm not experienced or trained to do X, but I can recommend someone who can'

There's not much I can say or that anyone can say that is going to make this any easier for you to decide. Even as far as the fusion, I have a friend with multiple lumbar fusions who swears if he could do it all again - he would make sure he'd have nothing but '360' fusions, which of course require posterior and anterior approaches. I'm probably not helping you here. In my mind, I would not want anyone without adr experience taking it out but I would not want it replaced with another adr (say the ActivL) for instance. I do strongly believe the ActivL is a superior disk but in your case considering the level L5-S1, the existing condition Failed ADR, and some facet degeneration since original implant - I would think another 'replacement disk' would not give you much peace of mind.

However, I think you have said the level above is now showing signs of degeneration as well, in which case maybe the ActivL would be a better long term solution. An I have not even touched on the danger of going frontal again. Oh My God, this has to be the most complex decision I can imagine.

I think this one will require some deep consultation with the Lord. I think your answer will become clear eventually. Just keep the faith in the mean time and I for one will be praying for you.
Aug 2011 pull-start generator - unrelenting low back pain - can only stand for 30 min
22 hours/day in bed
June 2012 - present receiving facet injections every 4 months, only last one helped somewhat
Doing great!!!!!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:59 PM

Default Thanks for understanding

Last edited by vnf; 11-04-2014 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Need to remove for personal reasons
Old 07-15-2014, 03:27 PM

Default In God's hand

I think you have the right attitude. God expects us to use our minds and seek knowledge, but in the end it ALWAYS comes down to trust

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding

May peace be with you
22 hours/day in bed
Doing great!!!!!
Old 07-15-2014, 03:40 PM

Wow, I just posted and had not seen your decision. 100% endorsement. I am glad that you have the finances to do this. You are having a magnificent surgeon remove the failed disk. Was it easy to convince him that you preferred to fuse as opposed to a ActivL?

I doubt that I could afford to go your route 2 1/2 years after spending over 50k, but IMO you have put yourself in the best possible position for ultimate success.
22 hours/day in bed
Doing great!!!!!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:24 PM

Even if your facet joints were better and there were no bone density concerns, in your case with what you've been through - I'd take fusion anyway. If hindsight were 20/20! you'd probably be about $80,000 richer, without all the drama.

You are in good hands with Willem, his surgical record is practically spotless
22 hours/day in bed
Doing great!!!!!

Last edited by henry4956; 07-15-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:14 AM

Default wishing you the best

Vicki
Sorry to read all that you've gone thru and what you're looking at going thru although think that you're approaching it the best way possible and that is getting all the opinions you can and going with the one that you trust the most.

I do wish you the very best and thank you for posting your spine endeavors here. Seems like we all learn a bit from each other as well as at the very least be here to support each other thru our spinal endeavors.

hugs n wishing you all the best ~ Maria
Old 10-04-2014, 06:04 AM

Hello:

i just wanted to say how sorry I am that your surgery failed. How very traumatic! However, I appreciate you posting about it so we can all learn. Could you please let us know what you decided to do? I'm preparing for lumbar 2 level surgery and want to know what the surgery options are in the US or Europe for failed ADR surgeries. Actually, in my particular case the ADR is only expected to last for about 15 years so I really need to have a plan in place for when my do break down.

Thank you!
Old 10-12-2014, 11:07 PM

Tableone, who was it that said that your ADR would last only 15 years?
You do not have to say a name but I am curious about that because there are people past 15. I am six years plus for my first ADR. It is working fine. Other one, is a question mark, mechanically, it is supposed to be fine.

Vicki, Sorry to hear your problem.

I am having problems with my L5/S1 but my ADR is working fine. I spoke to my doctor about 2 months ago and he thinks fusion might not help me. He said to fuse my L5/S1 would be a "knee-jerk reaction", but I am not sure (u can see my thread). If he did a posterior fusion, he would leave the ProDisc in. Looking at what can happen in surgery, I do not think I would attempt to take out a ProDisc ADR that has been in there for three years. Being an RN, influences my thinking, however.

He also told me the fusion would not be an easy surgery, and so I am seeing if that is the thing to do.
I know my problems are progressing because now, I am waking up and my left foot is numb. That has happened in the past 2 weeks; so that kind of worries me. I just think the progressive nature of my problems indicate something that is pressing on my nerves and is obscurred by the artifact from the stainless steel ProDisc ADR. My pain doctor thinks I have a permanent problem, nerve damage.

Vicki, actually, about the M-6, I have not seen too many fail or develop problems. This is a heads up of what can occur. But who knows, I mean so many things can happen with a spinal surgery. In the future, I hope they can halt DDD without surgery.

Hang in there,

Runner
Old 10-31-2014, 03:45 PM

Default Date Set

Surgery will be November 19th with Dr. Regan.
Anterior approach, M6 removed and a fusion will be done.

I got out of cooking a Thanksgiving dinner but maybe instead we will just be thankful for a successful surgery!
Old 11-07-2014, 07:32 PM

Default wow!

Ok wishing you the absolute best with surgery preparation, surgery, recovery, insurance .. everything.. can't even think of enough things to cover bases though cover bases and then some positive vibes/wishes/prayers/thoughts sending your way!

Maria
Old 01-14-2015, 04:31 PM

Default wondering how you are

Have been having my own little sitting problem the last 6 weeks or so and not getting to check things out here much though am here now and wondering how you're progressing? I do hope you are making a steady recovery and your pain levels are less~ whenever you have time and feel like posting an update please do. Sending out continued good thoughts regarding your recovery~ Maria