Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Alastair L5/S1 Charite' July 2002 in the Main forums forums; SURGERY DATE:26 july 2002 Age 64 at time of surgery SURGEON r Zeegers SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC:Alphaklinik Munich DEVICE(...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2008, 09:13 PM

Default Update

SURGERY DATE:26 july 2002

Age 64 at time of surgery

SURGEONr Zeegers

SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC:Alphaklinik Munich

DEVICE(s), LEVEL(s):L5/S1 Charitee

COST =£9,000 ($14,700)
AMOUNT BILLED:£9000
INSURANCE ALLOWED:Nil
OUT OF POCKET:£3,000
TRAVEL:As out of pocket
EXPLANATIONS? The UK offers nothing Nor do insurers

ONSET OF LUMBAR PROBLEMS, DATE OF INJURY, CAUSE, ETC...:Started in October 1998 following an accident

PRIOR SPINE SURGERIES AND PROCEDURES (IDET, ESI, etc...):Nil

PRE-OP MEDICATIONS:Morphine and Benzodiazepams

PRE-OP DIAGNOSTICS (discogram, nerve root blocks, etc...)is DDDD(UK) Discogram at Alphaklinik prior to surgery

PRE-OP NEUROPATHIES (what, where, & degree of pain, numbness, tingling, sexual/bladder/bowel symptoms, etc.):Bowel Incontinence

PRE-OP CONDITION (Please include %leg pain/% back pain, pain levels, ability to work and function, disability status, etc.... be direct, but be as verbose as you need to): unable to walk further than 10 yd., mobility my wheelchair to walking sticks. Stated it disability by UK doctors 75%, unable to work at all.

Pain 90% 24/7

TIME POST-OP AT ORIGINAL POST HERE:21/9/2003

(In the following sections, rate your surgical success and comments as described in the first post of this thread.

DESCRIBE YOUR SURGICAL EXPERIENCE: the surgery and the facilities were excellent.I walked from the operating trolley to my room on the Thursday,Mobile for the toilet but taking things steady Thursday ,Friday was walking down corridors on the Saturday ,Sunday. Left on Monday for my Hotel.

The weather was absolutely foul in Munich with thunderstorms, hail and rain plus gales.
No air conditioning in the Sheraton Berganhausen and we suffered for it. We borrowed a fan from another room whilst the staff were not looking.

The first few days I spent quite a lot of time resting.It was pain from the wound more than anything else.

I used the corridors of the Hotel which were 100yards long to walk, also I entertained myself in the Computer room.

RATE SUCCESS / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / DESCRIBE CONDITION 1 MONTH POST-OP (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]): pain in left buttock, radiating from the site of the operation. This vanished following physiotherapy. The bowel incontinence has gone. Medication nil

RATE SUCCESS / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / DESCRIBE CONDITION 3 MONTHS POST-OP (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]): reduced pain as above.

RATE SUCCESS / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / DESCRIBE CONDITION 6 MONTHS POST-OP (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]): nil

RATE SUCCESS / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / DESCRIBE CONDITION 6 YEARS POST-OP (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]): total success, medication nil.100% success

RATE SUCCESS / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / DESCRIBE CONDITION 6 YEARS POST-OP (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):[/qb][/quote][/qb]

Folks my Charitee is doing fine 6 years on taking no meds but at my age (approaching 72) not doing cartwheels and handsprings but Ok. Good luck everyone with your surgery

17/5/08

I am so Glad I had this surgery

Last edited by Alastair; 06-24-2008 at 05:30 PM.