Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Andy Geppert L5/S1-L4/5, Charite3, 2 Level in the Main forums forums; Originally Posted by Andy Geppert on October 10, 2003 SURGERY DATE: August 29, 2003 AGE AT SURGERY DATE: 43 SURGEON: ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 04:13 PM

Default Andy Geppert L5/S1-L4/5, Charite3, 2 Level August 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Geppert on October 10, 2003
SURGERY DATE: August 29, 2003

AGE AT SURGERY DATE: 43

SURGEON: Dr. Willem Zeegers

SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC: AlphaKlinik, Munich, Germany

DEVICE(s), LEVEL(s): Charite3, 2 level, L5/S1-L4/5

COST =
AMOUNT BILLED: 21,300 Euros total
INSURANCE ALLOWED: 20,300 Euros (out of network)
OUT OF POCKET: 1000 Euros
TRAVEL:5,700 Euro
EXPLANATIONS? About $29,000 US, including airfare, meals and all accomodations for 2 people. We stayed 17 days in Munich Holiday Inn. Insurance was with BCBS of South Carolina

ONSET OF LUMBAR PROBLEMS, DATE OF INJURY, CAUSE, ETC...: Rapid onset May 1995, Severe DDD at L5 and L4 with a protrusion more than 50% across spinal cord at L5, Radiculopathy. Cause was probably a congenital defect- sacrilized L5. Worked as a machinist in Power Generation equipment for 15 years.

PRIOR SPINE SURGERIES AND PROCEDURES (IDET, ESI, etc...): Failed Spinal Cord Stimulator 1996, 2 level IDET 1999 No previous open spine operations, thank God. Have had 2 total hip replacements for 3 major operations in 15 months. I'm gonna be well.

PRE-OP MEDICATIONS: Per day: 240 mg Oxycontin, 8mg Zanaflex, 400 mg Celebrex, OxyIR 5mg breakthru

PRE-OP DIAGNOSTICS (discogram, nerve root blocks, etc...): Discogram 1995, 10-15 ESI's for pain, 4 MRI's, countless x-rays. Zeegers did not give me another discogram or MRI before ADR.

PRE-OP NEUROPATHIES (what, where, & degree of pain, numbness, tingling, sexual/bladder/bowel symptoms, etc.): restrictive to unbearable backpain, antalgic limping, constipation

PRE-OP CONDITION (Please include %leg pain/% back pain, pain levels, type of pain, ability to work and function, disability status, etc.... be direct, but be as verbose as you need to): Total Disability granted 1995 (without even going to court- get a good lawyer!) Unable to work, lost my vocation, now struggling to get college degree in business finance (May 2004!). During the 8 years pre ADR, aspects of life were fairly satisfying. I was able to function somewhat due to support from wife and kids and teachings of Roman Catholic faith (suffering can have purpose and meaning). Before ADR surgery pain was at a constant 7-8 level, 90%back, 10% legpain. Pain was both radicular from left hip area and memory pain whenever weight was on right leg. At worst it was the eyes-bugging out, tears and laying down all the time kind of pain.

TIME POST-OP AT ORIGINAL POST HERE: 6 weeks

DESCRIBE YOUR SURGICAL EXPERIENCE: Was on table 5 hours with some placement problems. Zeegers was the best Doctor I have ever had for any problem. AK was a great experience, perhaps the future of healthcare (pay yourself). The nursing was OK, but postop pain management could be better. Immediate recovery was difficult and uncomfortable sometimes, but not terribly painful. Neuromuscular pain in left leg went away in about 2 weeks.

RATE FUNCTIONALITY / SATISFACTION AT INTERVALS BELOW:

FUNCTIONALITY:
1. Very poor: much worse... disabled after surgery.
2. Poor: worse after surgery.
3. Neutral: No improvement, or improvements offset by new problems.
4. Fair, some improvment, limitations are still serious.
5. Good, substantial improvement, some limitations.
6. Excellent: no limitations.

SATISFACTION:
1. Very sorry I had the surgery.
2. Somewhat sorry I had the surgery.
3. Too soon to tell, or I'm ambivalent about the surgery.
4. I'm somewhat glad I did my surgery.
5. I'm very glad I did my surgery.

FUNCTIONALITY: _4/5_ SATISFACTION: _5_ [6 WEEKS POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: _5__ SATISFACTION: _5__ [3 MONTHS POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: _5_ SATISFACTION: __5_ [6 MONTHS POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: _5_ SATISFACTION: _5_ [1 YEAR POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [2 YEARS POST-OP]

6 WEEKS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ECT... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]): I am quite happy with the fact that I can walk with my dog at a 3mph clip for 1 hour. I do all the AK excersises for stretching and abdominal muscle tightening. I sleep MUCH better than before, what a blessing. I wake up without that "run over by a train" feeling. I still have considerable stiffness and sorenenss in the low back, especially when rising. I am incredibly un-limber. I spend a lot of time stretching, especially my legs.I have NO legpain. My feet and heels hurt alot (tiredness) at bedtime. I take hot baths and showers for the pain. Massage therapy has sped my recovery. I have decreased OxyC from 240 to 80 mg/day, and cut Zanaflex in half. I'm gonna be well.

3 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... I feel great! Very little remaining pain in the low back; I am still experiencing tightness and stiffness, particularly after excercise. There is also one area of low back pain near the left hip but it only comes and goes; it does not limit function. I have some fairly serious neuropathic stuff in my left heel, but only at night or when very tired.

Had to calm down and take it easier with walking and PT because of restless leg syndrome and other effects of Oxyc withdrawal. This part has been the toughest, both physically and emotionally. I am not sleeping well. I am now at only 30mg/day, going to ZERO, 10% at time every week or two. I have begun an internship, working 4 hrs twice per week and I am doing well there. I play bass in my old band again; I think I have doubled my playing time and this is cool. Life is coming back, but I find I must be real patient, and I mean with everything and everybody. I have so much to be thankful for. I am going to be well, after all.

6 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]): At 6 months, I can say this was the best medical decision of my life. My life was ruined by DDD for 8 years. I do have some trouble with my hip replacements (trochanteric bursitis)and very tight hamstrings (they won't let go) but have started a PT program with Iontophoresis treatments that apply cortisone through electrodes and it appears to be working. Back pain is reduced 95%, and I am on the final stages (5-10)of leaving Oxy behind, 240 (mg) to ZERO. I have no leg pain at all. I graduate with my business degree in May, and have every reason to expect to go back to work after 1 year of recovery. I have music playing in my head constantly and I'm writing some songs. Dr. Zeegers is #1.

1 YEAR POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... I am still in great shape: no back or legpain, no neuropathy and I am taking zero pain medicine. I am swimming everyday and have increased my fitness efforts now that enough time has passed since this very serious surgery. We have moved to South Florida and I must say the area agrees with me. We go boating and I hike short nature trails and learn flyfishing techniques with my brother, who also lives here. I was hoping to take a trip back to Munich and see the great Dr. Zeegers, but it may have to wait till next year. A definate success story here!

2 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):
Waiting for an update from Andy.

Last edited by iSpine-Admin; 05-19-2008 at 04:32 PM.