Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss labeng ProDisc L4-L5, L5-S1 November 2003 in the Main forums forums; Originally Posted by labeng on January 6, 2004 SURGERY DATE: 11/25/03 AGE AT SURGERY DATE: 45 SURGEON: Dr. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 05:23 PM

Default labeng ProDisc L4-L5, L5-S1 November 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by labeng on January 6, 2004
SURGERY DATE: 11/25/03

AGE AT SURGERY DATE: 45

SURGEON: Dr. David Siambanes

SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC: Haider Spine Center-Riverside Community Hospital, CA

DEVICE(s), LEVEL(s): ProDisc L4-L5, L5-S1

COST =
AMOUNT BILLED: approx. $80,000
INSURANCE ALLOWED: $76,000
OUT OF POCKET: $4,000
TRAVEL: 0

ONSET OF LUMBAR PROBLEMS, DATE OF INJURY, CAUSE, ETC...:
Started having pain in June of 2002. Gradual onset.

PRIOR SPINE SURGERIES AND PROCEDURES:
Partial discectomy at L4-L5 in 1985 for right side herniation. Surgery was very successful and I enjoyed 17 years of a pain free, active lifestyle until June 2002.

Tried 3 steroid epidurals, PT, chiropratic, accupuncture, massage therapy. I had taken NSAID's to the point in which I developed severe stomach ulcers. All conservative efforts failed and the symptoms progressively got worse.

PRE-OP MEDICATIONS:
Celebrex
Vicodin occasionally

PRE-OP DIAGNOSTICS:
Xrays, 2 MRI's, myelogram CT, EMG. Severe disc degeneration at L4-L5, L5-S1. 3-4mm protrusions at both levels. Both discs almost non exsistant and osteophyte growth indicates auto fusion in the near future. All other discs are very healthy and in excellent condition.

PRE-OP NEUROPATHIES:
Mostly back pain but at times pain would extend into buttocks, groin, and legs. At times I would get a tingling, numbness feeling on top of the right foot just behind the toes. EMG indicated a slight weakness of the large toe on the right foot.

PRE-OP CONDITION:
Chronic pain started about June 2002. 90% back pain, 10% leg pain.

On the average, chronic pain was about a 2 or a 3 up until 2 weeks before surgery when it increased to a 4 or 5. Fortunately, lying down relieved most of pain and sleeping was OK. Standing for more than 20 minutes became intolerable. Sitting upright for more than 20-30 minutes would elevate the pain level to a 6 or 7. If I reclined 10 or 15 degrees, then sitting became much more tolerable. Working out in the gym helped at times as long as I stayed away from the heavy weights.

Working had become increasingly more difficult. I am a self employed engineer and I continued to work up until the surgery. Domestic chores and social activities were pretty much avoided.

TIME POST-OP AT ORIGINAL POST HERE: 6 weeks

DESCRIBE YOUR SURGICAL EXPERIENCE:
The hospital and staff was great. I had some complications due to a fever and abdominal bloating. For more details see the running update post below.
labeng......2 level ProDisc 11/25/03

RATE FUNCTIONALITY / SATISFACTION AT INTERVALS BELOW:

FUNCTIONALITY:
1. Very poor: much worse... disabled after surgery.
2. Poor: worse after surgery.
3. Neutral: No improvement, or improvements offset by new problems.
4. Fair, some improvment, limitations are still serious.
5. Good, substantial improvement, some limitations.
6. Excellent: no limitations.

SATISFACTION:
1. Very sorry I had the surgery.
2. Somewhat sorry I had the surgery.
3. Too soon to tell, or I'm ambivalent about the surgery.
4. I'm somewhat glad I did my surgery.
5. I'm very glad I did my surgery.

FUNCTIONALITY: _4__ SATISFACTION: _5__ [6 WEEKS POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: _4__ SATISFACTION: _4-5_ [3 MONTHS POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [6 MONTHS POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [1 YEAR POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [2 YEARS POST-OP]

6 WEEKS POST-OP:
Just started to become more active within the last week. No back pain to speak of. I am having some leg and buttock aching due to the distracion from surgery. Starting PT this week which should help. Pretty much off all pain meds. I will take a half a vicodin once in a while if I over do something. Xrays taken yesterday and everyting looks good so far, no subsidence or migration. For more details see the running update post below.
labeng....2 level ProDisc 11/25/03

3 MONTHS POST-OP: (actually 4 months...sorry)
Nothing really new to report. Still having a lot of distraction pain, mostly burning and sciatic ache. The back seems to be strong and flexible so I feel that in spite of the surgery induced symptoms, I am optimistic that the procedure was a success. I am currently on Neurontin at 1600mg/day. Some days I pop a Vicodin, and some days I don’t. I tried Bextra for a week but seen no relief. I am going next week for an ESI to see if that takes the edge off. I just updated my out come thread, see the link above for more details.

6 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

1 YEAR POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

2 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):
Waiting for an update from labeng.