Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Cyndi272002 L4,L5,L5S1 March 2004 in the Main forums forums; Originally Posted by Cyndi272002 on March 29, 2004 SURGERY DATE:03/08/04 AGE AT SURGERY DATE:46 SURGEON: Dr. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 05:59 PM

Default Cyndi272002 L4,L5,L5S1 March 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi272002 on March 29, 2004
SURGERY DATE:03/08/04

AGE AT SURGERY DATE:46

SURGEON: Dr. Michael Kropf

SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC:The Spine Institute at St. Johns Medical Center in Santa Monica Ca.

DEVICE(s), LEVEL(s):L4,L5,L5S1

COST =unknown at this time
AMOUNT BILLED:
INSURANCE ALLOWED:
OUT OF POCKET:
TRAVEL:
EXPLANATIONS?

ONSET OF LUMBAR PROBLEMS, DATE OF INJURY, CAUSE, ETC...: DDD AT L4,L5,L5S1,Disc herniation at L4, L5, and left sided disc bulge at L5S1, Car Accident on 6/8/03.

PRIOR SPINE SURGERIES AND PROCEDURES (IDET, ESI, etc...):No prior surgeries but have had 2 spinal injections and 6 months of physical therapy with no relief.

PRE-OP MEDICATIONS:Hydrocodone 10/325 tablets, Methocarbomal 500 mg, and Vioxx 25 mg. for pain

PRE-OP DIAGNOSTICS (discogram, nerve root blocks, etc...):2 steroid spinal injections.

PRE-OP NEUROPATHIES (what, where, & degree of pain, numbness, tingling, sexual/bladder/bowel symptoms, etc.):Extreme lower back pressure with extreme heaviness and weakness. Tingling and burning in back, down the front of both legs most of the time. I would say pain level was 2-3 in am and by afternoon it was 7-8.

PRE-OP CONDITION (Please include %leg pain/% back pain, pain levels, type of pain, ability to work and function, disability status, etc.... be direct, but be as verbose as you need to):Could not sit or stand for more than 10 to 30 minutes at a time. Felt like I had a 100 extra lbs. in my back all the time. Again alot of burning and tingling in back, pelvic region, and down front of legs to feet. AM pain was 2-3 and by afternoon pain was 7-8. Have been on disability since the end of June 2003 due to car accident.

TIME POST-OP AT ORIGINAL POST HERE:Had been posting about a month or so before surgery.

DESCRIBE YOUR SURGICAL EXPERIENCE:Better than I thought it would be.The staff at St. Johns was excellent in taking care of me. Very friendly towards my husband and family and very informative at all times. I thought I was very well taken care of while in their hands.

RATE FUNCTIONALITY / SATISFACTION AT INTERVALS BELOW:

FUNCTIONALITY:
1. Very poor: much worse... disabled after surgery.
2. Poor: worse after surgery.
3. Neutral: No improvement, or improvements offset by new problems.
4. Fair, some improvement, limitations are still serious.
5. Good, substantial improvement, some limitations.
6. Excellent: no limitations.

SATISFACTION:
1. Very sorry I had the surgery.
2. Somewhat sorry I had the surgery.
3. Too soon to tell, or I'm ambivalent about the surgery.
4. I'm somewhat glad I did my surgery.
5. I'm very glad I did my surgery.

FUNCTIONALITY: __5_ SATISFACTION: __5_ [6 WEEKS POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: __5_ SATISFACTION: __5_ [3 MONTHS POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: __4_ SATISFACTION: __4_ [6 MONTHS POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [1 YEAR POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [2 YEARS POST-OP]

6 WEEKS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ECT... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]): Have not returned to work yet. I am starting physical therapy. I have numbness in right side of foot and calf. I have extreme burning sensations in the bottom of my feet and front of my calves. I have throbbing that runs up and down both legs. At night I have a sciatica issue when I lay on either sides when sleeping. If I am off of my right leg for too long, I cannot walk on it right away till it wakes up. I am currently taking 1500 mgs. of nuerotin, hydrocodone (now weaning myself off) 200 mgs. of celebrex, and ultracet to offset hydrocodone. I have ambien to sleep if neccessary. I also take 75 mgs. of zoloft each day.

3 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):
I am getting around so much better. Getting stronger and better every day. Have had 21 PT sessions and moving forward for another 8 weeks. The pain in my legs has improved so much. I still have some numbness in the right foot and right calf. My lower back is somewhat sore and feels like a pulling sensation. Tail bone also feels tender and sore. My medications now are 900 mgs of nuerontin, 200 mgs of celebrex, and ultracet (trying to cut way down) (also no more vicodin) Doctor feels the numbness, tenderness, soreness etc. are still part of healing and will get better over time.
6 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):
Ever since my third month, about halfway through I feel like I have made a turn around as far as healing in the back. My back pain feels familiar and is scaring me. I still have pressure and heaviness when I sit or stand too long. My right calf is no longer numb, but still falls asleep on me when I have been off of it for a period of time. If I lay down or walk the discomfort is not as great. I am now off another 3 months and am having a ct scan in the next week or so. They have cut my medicine back which I am glad. I still have ultracet and hydrcodone for pain if needed, but now I am weaning off of nuerontin and I still take celebrex. I hope in the next 3 months things will tremendously change and I can get back to my life. Still fighting to get better.
1 YEAR POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

2 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):
Waiting for an update from Cyndi272002.

Last edited by iSpine-Admin; 05-19-2008 at 06:06 PM.