Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss kc0iet Charite L4-5 & L5-S1 June 2004 in the Main forums forums; Originally Posted by kc0iet on July 27, 2004 SURGERY DATE: June 4, 2004 AGE AT SURGERY DATE: 39 SURGEON: Dr. ...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 03:50 PM

Default kc0iet Charite L4-5 & L5-S1 June 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iet on July 27, 2004
SURGERY DATE: June 4, 2004

AGE AT SURGERY DATE: 39

SURGEON: Dr. Zecheal & Ritter-Lang

SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC: Stenum Germany

DEVICE(s), Charite LEVEL(s):L4-5 & L5-S1

COST = 24,000. Euro (Approx. $30,000. US)
AMOUNT BILLED:
INSURANCE ALLOWED: $27,900 !!!!!
OUT OF POCKET: About $2000 plus travel!
TRAVEL: $1730.
EXPLANATIONS? Two coach tickets.

ONSET OF LUMBAR PROBLEMS, DATE OF INJURY, CAUSE, ETC...: Low back pain ongoing since age 19. DDD

PRIOR SPINE SURGERIES AND PROCEDURES (IDET, ESI, etc...): Steroid epidural injections (several through the years) - PT

PRE-OP MEDICATIONS: Bextra - Neurontin - Percocet

PRE-OP DIAGNOSTICS (discogram, nerve root blocks, etc...):Positive discogram in May 2004.

PRE-OP NEUROPATHIES (what, where, & degree of pain, numbness, tingling, sexual/bladder/bowel symptoms, etc.): Tingling and numbness in both feet and legs.

PRE-OP CONDITION (Please include %leg pain/% back pain, pain levels, type of pain, ability to work and function, disability status, etc.... be direct, but be as verbose as you need to):

Low back pain 65% Leg pain 35% Leg pain was achey with numbness and tingling in both feet, constant. Back and butt pain was all over the place depending on the amount of pain meds and activity level. Most days, with meds 6 out of 10.

Was able to function pretty well if I wore my brace until February of 2004. Have been off of work since 2/3/04. By the time I arrived in Stenum my quality of life, well, I had no life. I arrived in Stenum 2 days early and could not even enjoy it. Could barely even walk up the hill to the hospital.

TIME POST-OP AT ORIGINAL POST HERE: 7 weeks

DESCRIBE YOUR SURGICAL EXPERIENCE: No complications. Two level surgery completed in 65 minutes. Roaming the halls in the hospital the next day. Roaming the streets in Stenum and climbing stairs by day 4!

RATE FUNCTIONALITY / SATISFACTION AT INTERVALS BELOW:

FUNCTIONALITY:
1. Very poor: much worse... disabled after surgery.
2. Poor: worse after surgery.
3. Neutral: No improvement, or improvements offset by new problems.
4. Fair, some improvement, limitations are still serious.
5. Good, substantial improvement, some limitations.
6. Excellent: no limitations.

SATISFACTION:
1. Very sorry I had the surgery.
2. Somewhat sorry I had the surgery.
3. Too soon to tell, or I'm ambivalent about the surgery.
4. I'm somewhat glad I did my surgery.
5. I'm very glad I did my surgery.

FUNCTIONALITY: __4_ SATISFACTION: __5_ [6 WEEKS POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: __4_ SATISFACTION: __5_ [3 MONTHS POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [6 MONTHS POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [1 YEAR POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [2 YEARS POST-OP]

6 WEEKS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ECT... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):
Doing very well. Still learning not to over do. Starting to do light PT exercises. I had NO leg pain until I started exercises, now leg pain has returned. Back pain is gone most of the time. Some days there is some pain but not the same pain as before surgery. Incision looks great. Some pain directly on incision but the abdominal pain is gone. Still some soreness in spine at discs. Pain level most of the time, with meds is 2 to 3 out of 10. I am presently taking Bextra 10mg daily, Oxycontin 20mg twice a day and Percocet if I am active. Like when I mow the yard, go camping or am up and on my feet for several hours. Still not back to work. I have sent in another work excuse thru Sept. 4th. My current job is very physically demanding and I can not take any narcotics.

Well, not as good as I had HOPED at this point, but in honesty as good or better than I EXPECTED.

Cheers until September!

3 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):Well all, today is my birthday! The big 40!! It is also my 3 month and 3 days post-op anniverary. Still doing very well. Still learning not to over do. Starting to do strength building exercises and more physical activities. The leg pain is completely gone most of the time since I started taking Calcium. Back pain is gone most of the time. Some days there is some pain but not the same pain as before surgery. Incision looks great. Slight pain directly on incision but the abdominal pain is pretty much gone. Still some soreness in spine at discs but very little. Pain level most of the time, with meds is 0 to 3 out of 10. I am presently taking, Oxycontin 20mg most nights but not all and Percocet if I am active (1 to 3 daily). Like when I mow the yard, go camping or am up and on my feet for several hours. Many days no drugs at all. Still not back to work. I have sent in another work excuse thru Oct. 1st. My current job is very physically demanding and 12 to 15 hours on my feet is not uncommon.

Cheers till December!

6 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

1 YEAR POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

2 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):
Waiting for an update from kc0iet.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:24 AM

June 2009 - Both Chartie ADR's removed and replased with cages. Ten days later the non-fusion of L4-5 was also removed and proper fusion rods for both levels L4-5 - S1

July 2009 - I developed sever blood clots due to the 7+ hour surgery to have the Chartie's removed. I have begun my L O N G recovery, but am doing well. My GP says the leg with the blood clot will bother me the rest of my life and that I will likely be on coumidan forever too. As per doctors orders - no activity other than walking for the first three months. As of today, I have walked one half mile or more; twice daily, for the past six days! That is walking - unassisted by anyone or anything!
Old 07-29-2009, 01:54 PM

Default surgery out-come

K,

Sounds like things are going well.

Thank you for the update!!

I've checked in on this site almost every day to see
how you are doing.

Walking that far is great news!! Take it slow......

Please keep us all posted as you heal.

Todd

Surgery 10-19-07 ( L4-L5 Maverick disc )

For my true life story ...

go to -----> www.youtube.com

print -----> ADR surgery into the space bar

or ... http://www.maverick-disc.blogspot.com (my picture & movie updates)
Old 08-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Administrator

I see that KC has an updated outcomes thread with updated questionnaire.

I'll merge post to this thread with the more complete thread and lock this one. This thread is now obsolete.

More up to date version here: L4-5 & L5-S1 Chartie Stenum - kc0iet
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Closed Thread