Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss JackU C5-C6-C7 ProDisc-C June 2006 in the Main forums forums; SURGERY DATE: June 20, 2006 AGE AT SURGERY DATE: 57 SURGEON: Rudolph Bertagnoli SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC: Straubing DEVICE(s), LEVEL(...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2008, 12:57 AM

Default JackU C5-C6-C7 ProDisc-C June 2006

SURGERY DATE: June 20, 2006

AGE AT SURGERY DATE: 57

SURGEON: Rudolph Bertagnoli

SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC: Straubing

DEVICE(s), LEVEL(s): Pro-Disc C, C5-C6-C7

COST = $34,000
AMOUNT BILLED: Zero Insurance Involvement
INSURANCE ALLOWED: 0
OUT OF POCKET: All
TRAVEL: $3,500
EXPLANATIONS? Airfare was very high because of World Cup. Euro was 1.27 at that time.

I was a potential 4-level procedure, but after discography, Dr. Bertagnoli thought that replacing only the 2 worst levels would be the best solution. I knew that I may have some residual pain, but was mostly concerned with the numbness and dexterity problems.

ONSET OF CERVICAL PROBLEMS, DATE OF INJURY, CAUSE, ETC...: Cervical Problems,; Injury occurred in Summer of 2000, Off road Motorcycle ride resulted in numbness in hands and arms. Symptoms lasted a day and were gone. 2 years later symptoms resumed gradually after any strenuous activity. Became worse as time went by.

PRIOR SPINE SURGERIES AND PROCEDURES (IDET, ESI, etc...): none

PRE-OP MEDICATIONS: Vicodin, Skelaxin

PRE-OP DIAGNOSTICS (discogram, nerve root blocks, etc...): Local injections

PRE-OP NEUROPATHIES (what, where, & degree of pain, numbness, tingling, sexual/bladder/bowel symptoms, etc.):

Hand numbness and loss of dexterity. Losing muscle mass in my arms.

PRE-OP CONDITION (Please include %leg pain/% back pain, pain levels, type of pain, ability to work and function, disability status, etc.... be direct, but be as verbose as you need to): Pain was constant, sharp with numbness in the hands and atrophy in the forearms. Ability to work was impaired as well as playing music (guitar). Driving was difficult because my hands would get numb.

TIME POST-OP AT ORIGINAL POST HERE: 2 years

DESCRIBE YOUR SURGICAL EXPERIENCE: The surgery went smoothly and I woke up feeling remarkably good. I was astonished at the speed of recovery. I used GPN to present my case and had Mark travel with me to Germany. He made everything easier and took away so much of the stress.

RATE FUNCTIONALITY / SATISFACTION AT INTERVALS BELOW:

FUNCTIONALITY:
1. Very poor: much worse... disabled after surgery.
2. Poor: worse after surgery.
3. Neutral: No improvement, or improvements offset by new problems.
4. Fair, some improvement, limitations are still serious.
5. Good, substantial improvement, some limitations.
6. Excellent: no limitations.

SATISFACTION:
1. Very sorry I had the surgery.
2. Somewhat sorry I had the surgery.
3. Too soon to tell, or I'm ambivalent about the surgery.
4. I'm somewhat glad I did my surgery.
5. I'm very glad I did my surgery.

Don't forget the detail update section below!

DATE UPDATED: _ 06/11/08 __ FUNCTIONALITY: _ 5 _ SATISFACTION: _ 5 _ [6 WEEKS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _ 06/11/08 __ FUNCTIONALITY: _ 5 _ SATISFACTION: _ 5 _ [3 MONTHS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _ 06/11/08 __ FUNCTIONALITY: _ 5 _ SATISFACTION: _ 5 _ [6 MONTHS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _ 06/11/08 __ FUNCTIONALITY: _ 5 _ SATISFACTION: _ 5 _ [1 YEAR POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _ 06/11/08 __ FUNCTIONALITY: _ 5 _ SATISFACTION: _ 5 _ [2 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [3 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [4 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [5 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [6 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [7 YEARS POST-OP]

6 WEEKS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ECT... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

At 6 weeks I quit wearing the brace and I returned to a normal life, but I was still focused on my spine as I had been for years. I have mild to moderate pain, but it’s adequately controlled with low doses of medications.

3 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

After a couple of months, I quit thinking about my spine. Numbness is still gone and I’m completely functional in spite of the mild to moderate pain. It’s still adequately controlled with very low doses of medications.

6 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

Numbness is still gone and I’m completely functional in spite of the mild to moderate pain. It’s still adequately controlled with very low doses of medications.

1 YEAR POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

Numbness is still gone and I’m completely functional in spite of the mild to moderate pain. It’s still adequately controlled with very low doses of medications.

2 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

Numbness is still gone and I’m completely functional in spite of the mild to moderate pain. It’s still adequately controlled with very low doses of medications. While I’m not 100%, I want everyone to realize how functional I really am. I spent the entire day today working on the computer with no problems. This is in spite of the fact that I spent the last 3 days roofing and putting new siding on a 20 x 20 greenhouse for my wife! My friend who helped me called me up and said how sore and tired he was. His spine is great and I kept up with him just fine. Not bad for 59?

3 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

4 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

5 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

6 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

7 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

--------------------------
C5-C6-C7 2-level Cervical ADR
ProDisc-C, June 2006, Straubing, Germany, Dr. Bertagnoli

my GPN story page

Last edited by Jacku; 06-12-2008 at 04:18 AM.