View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 05:03 AM

Default Complete waste of time and money!!

WOW! Dr Peloza apparently wanted nothing to do with me. He woudlnt even answer my questions. All he said was "So, what can I do for you today". He would only confirm that C6/7 is subsiding and that C 4/5 looks to be ok despite what appears to be a tilt in the lower plate. Then, before I could even ask him if he would be interested in performing the revision, he blurted out that he had no interest in doing my revision surgury. He was so cold and uninterested up to this point, I thought to myself, "Dare I ask him why"?...... Naaaaa. I already knew based on his demeanor that it would get me nowhere. I then told him I was considering Dr B and a few other docs, and I asked what he suggested I do. He said I should just go back to Dr B and that was all he would say. No adding on to explain why, no expounding further, no nothing, just silence. So, I asked him if he was reccomending that based on the idea that Id have the best chance at turning out better or if he was saying that based on an ethics idea that you should always stick/stay loyal with the original surgeon. Both times he refused to answer me. He just kept repeating his answer and went silent. My next question I asked was if he knew a surgeon locally here in Dallas that he might reccommend if I didnt want to travel back to germany for this. He said he didnt know of anyone and again, went silent. I mean, he didnt want to talk at all, nunca, zilcho! I soon saw I wasnt going to get anything out of him and that this was all a waste of time. Oh, I did ask him if Dr B had called him as Mark mentioned was supposed to happen before my visit, and he said he had not talked to Dr B. Maybe Dr B did call and left a message that went unreturned (it wouldnt surprise me), either way, not a big deal in the scheme of things. Man, this was my doctor dating back to 2004, I had a plasma decompression surgury with him , several epidurals and discograms etc. I mean, Im ok if he doesnt wantto do the surgury, but at least talk to me, tell me something, give me some geniune answers, explain why. But instead he wants to avoid me like the plague, basically behaved towards me like "dont let the door hit ya in the ass on your way out". And I just wasted $230. It was only 2 weeks ago that I had Dr Ziglar at TBI tell his receptionist "Oh, I remember that guy" , as if to say "that sob who chose a German doc over us". Cant they understand that not everyone is independently wealthy and can afford 2 x the price for a surgury? I can understand if there are legal concerns or if they are afraid that they will be sued if the revision goes wrong, heck, they can at least act human and explain that if that is the reason. But thats not what I sense from these docs. I sense alot of resentment in these guys. I mean, there must really be some bruised egos out there. Its sad, really sad to see. And to think I waited an extra week in this horrible pain thinking he would be interested in doing the surgury. Man, was I ever wrong. Anyways, time to move on .....

Talked to Mark today and he hasnt heard back from Dr Regan after several messages, pretty much a sign that he is pretty booked already or perhaps just isnt as interested anymore in other doctors revisions also? Who knows. Im just speculating at this point. I told Mark it was ok, no need to bother with Regan anymore. I guess Im good with Bitan anyways. Seeing how so many surgeons coldly treat their former patients, it makes Dr Bitan stand out even more as just a super compassionate great guy. I guess he is able to lay down his ego and be more concerned about people's well being than anything else.

Ya know, I was so darn confused today between going back to Dr B or staying local with Dr Bitan. Im sure Mark could tell. But late today I started thinking, Mark had said that Dr Bitan has dealt alot with spine "reconstruction " surguries. Of course, he deals with the ADR's also and has done many ADR to fusion revisons. But Im thinking this reconstructive experience is actually a really good thing to have as that has to be much harder to do than just ADR placements and fusions. Not to say Dr B hasnt done similar type work, but again, if I can get the same talent locally, why deal with overseas travel? Plus, Dr Bitan exudes confidence that this procedure for him is very simple and straightforward. I can sense he isn't worried about the difficulty of the surgury or the outcome one bit. Thats means alot to me, and I think it shows the confidence he has in himself and his abilities. This is a good thing. Also, Ill need follow ups, and if something goes wrong, or starts to hurt, or if I need tests done to see if I am fusing, or if I need a bone stimulator, its a easy plane ride to get to him. Cant say the same thing about germany. I get free domestic airfares with delta since my dad is a retired delta pilot, so it really wont cost much to go back and forth to see Dr Bitan. I was also thinking, with my recent experience with my old doctors, if I need help after germany, geez, am I going to get the 3rd degree from other docs too? I sense these docs really hate to work with someone else's surgical patient and I dont want to be treated like that during any follow ups. Ya know what I mean? So, I am no longer confused. I will choose Dr Bitan. The only remaining variable I want to wrap up before finalizing my decision is seeing what type of fusion cage they would use, to make sure its cutting edge and not the cheapo method from 20 yrs ago or something like that in order to save costs. I will ask him about this "zero profile" cage dr B was suggesting to see if he has something like that he could reccomemmend. And, I really dont want to have my hip bone extracted if at all possible. I dont think that should be necessary these days to fuse. Dr Bitan and his team have been very responsive and he is clearly enthusisiastic to perform this surgury, and that couonts for something. And he is one of the heavy hitters too. I just need to call his rep and wrap up my remaining questions/details, and then probably go see him for an initial appointment ASAP!

Again, I have all the confidence in the world in Dr Bertagnoli, and I dont blame him one bit for my situation, and he sure cleared out all my old pre op symptoms. But gosh, I REALLY do HATE To travel so far , with connecting flights, etc. I really want to be within descent and affordable reach of my doctor for follow ups, and I dont want to be treated by a different doc for follow up who will act like he doesnt really care about me or my situation. Ive learned that this is VERY common and I want no part of a poor patient/doctor relationship like that. No thanks!! I felt like dirt today the way Dr Peloza acted so disinterested and unhelpful. I trusted him and trusted that he would at least be helpful and somehwat interested in advising me, especially considering how far back we go. But he behaved just like Dr Ziglar at TBI. 100% uninterested and had nada to say to me.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. All of it helps me to think more clearly about my decisions.

9/22/09 -Dr B opened me up to find a staph infection was eating my vertebrae causing ADR subsidence. Had to remove all 3 ADR's and convert to 3 level fusion. Mostly pain free 2 weeks post op.

9/20/10 - I think I jinxed myself. As soon as I told dr b and dr Sullivan I was doing well (on 6/1/10) I tanked and have experienced the return of pain. My neuro says the new pain is at t4.

Last edited by steve55; 05-30-2009 at 05:18 AM.