View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 07:13 PM

Thumbs down No tinnitus cure

Hi Mark,

It's good to see you up and running... too bad I heard about it from someone else

I've had tinnitus for years and discovered there are basically two forms, or ways of getting it. It can be medicinally induced - meaning a medication caused it which is the common cause or it could be caused by a head injury. In reading the other posts, and by the way, I couldn't figure out how to do a quick reply?????, and between the lines, in each listed case, I presume a medication was taken with whatever condition existed. It was this medication and not the condition. Pretty much any medication at any time can do it and currently there is no predictor is who is suseptible or what meds will cause it. It can be further aggravated by other meds, but once you've got it, you've got it for life.

I've tried many 'cures' and am currently trying melatonin, which was recommended to me by Vicky in the UK which she found in a new article.

"Melatonin
What it is
A hormone produced in the brain's pineal gland that is best known for controlling the wake/sleep cycle. Levels rise in the evening, and subside in the morning.
What it claims to do
Helps counter sleep deprivation and jetlag.
What to look for on the label
Melatonin can't be bought in UK shops,but, it is widely available on the internet or in the US. Look for dosages of 2mg of melatonin which should be taken on the first evening you arrive in a new time zone. Continue this dosage for five days.
Does it work?
Several trials have shown it can help prevent jetlag. This year a team at Washington University found that taking 3mg daily (a higher than normal dose) for four weeks, then coming off the drug for the following four, could be useful in treating tinnitus. Another study showed it eases seasonal affective disorder." The jury is still out, I'm in my first week of off.

Unfortunately, tinnitus also affects hearing. My problem is mostly in crowds but I don't seem to have any difficulties.

If your tinnitus drastically affects your life there are specially designed 'hearing aids' that produce a sound that can negate your specific ringing to something far less intrusive.

I wish you all good luck but I'm afraid there is no cure and once you have it, you're stuck with it.

Dale