Thread: My Situation
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 05:26 PM

KK,

I too wonder about German staffing in an American military hospital??? But this no longer appears to be an issue. One piece of advice, the skill of your surgeon may have a direct affect on your outcome. This is not to say a less experienced doctor can't perform a successful surgery but you have one chance to get this right. Revision surgery is difficult. Choose carefully.

I realize you already have a surgical date. If you're not sure this is what you want, ask a lot of questions. Get all the facts you can. Though we had our doubts, you should understand what you're about to do and what to expect.

Who is doing your surgery? Where is he? Let's see if anyone knows him or his reputation. How long are you expected to stay in the hospital? Where is your recoup? Will anyone be with you? Does the military have an expectation of your return to duty? Is that flexible? You should also know that sitting for long periods of time, like driving, may be difficult for quite a while post surgery. (I'm 3 1/2 years out and it's still difficult) Is the military willing to change your duties is necessary? If it comes down to it, will they give you a medical discharge (if that's what you want)?

These are just a few questions that come to mind. You should have 100 more. Write them down as you think of anything that needs an answer. Have a consultation with your doctor about your concerns prior to your surgery. It wasn't until after my first spinal surgery that my doctor informed me that 100% had a different meaning. I'd been thinking - in 6 weeks I'd be good to go.

The 'crazies' are a normal piece of the spinal puzzle. Concentrate on your new education so no doubt (there's always a little) remains that you're making the right decision.

I wish you good luck... but you have to move fast.

Dale