View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 06:56 PM

Hi RayRay and welcome to the forum,

You asked some very important questions. I believe the reason your doctor originally suggested avoiding surgery is because it can lead to further degeneration. This isn't a given, just a possibility but it happens often. I do not know the statistics.

A weakened disc, herniation, discectomy... compromises the disc which puts an extra burden on adjacent segments which can cause degeneration of those segments. Of your two adjacent segments, you already know S1/L5 isn't all that healthy but L3/4 is.

My personal experience ... S1/L5 ruptured in 1994. No other discs were involved. I had a disco/lami and felt great for 8 years. In 2002 I had the same procedure on L4/5. By 2004, I had 4 degenerated levels.

Very many others have the same story to tell which may be reason your doctor wants you to avoid surgery. However, living with disabling pain is no way to live either. Suggesting that you take a first drastic step of an ADR surgery is overkill but you have to understand that a discectomy may compromise your disc which may eventually lead to further degeneration.

Only you can decide when enough is enough. You know your two discs are not healthly and herniate easily. Should you decide on surgery, IMHO it is definitely worth trying a lesser invasive procedure first, as long as you understand the risks.

My personal recommendation is Dr. Bertagnoli in Straubing and Bogan.

However you proceed, I wish you luck and hope you find the relief of pain you seek.

Dale