View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 06:37 AM

Default Update

Interesting conversation here. Anyways,....soon after my last post, I remebered that I had saved "D" Magazine's edition of the best doctors in Dallas (as voted on by their peer physicians). And one of the handful of spine surgeons listed just so happens to be in my humana network. His name is Luis Mignucci. NeuroSpine Surgical Consultants - Luis A. Mignucci, M.D.

The only problem is that they are 3 weeks out for an appointment and despite my terrible situation and pain, apparently there is nothing they can do to bump me up or fit me in sooner. However, Im not giving up. I just faxed over a request to them once again asking that they find a way to work me in as I am in bad shape even with the Hydrocordone and ultracet. It even hurts to just walk.I explained I dont want to risk any permanent nerve damage by waiting so long to get in. We'll see what happens.

Interestingly enough, my current ortho said that based on what he sees in the films, I am in no immediate danger of any kind. He didnt seem worried at all. And like I said, he seems fairly on the ball too. I just think Dr Mignucci has better credentials and I trust him more because of that.

My plan is to ask Dr Mignucci for his honest opinion as to whether or not it is important that I only have this surgery done by the very most high caliber and experienced surgeons such as Bertagnoli and Regan or if any surgeon who is good at what they do will do. Bill may be absolutely right when he says that there is no need to have to travel so far and pay for these surgeons (bertagnoli and Regan) when this is basically a simple extraction and fusion procedure. I want to know if the cervical ADR extraction is a extremely risky and difficult process or if its a process that most of our local surgeons can handle. This Dr Mignucci has more than enough business and I would expect he will be very honest with me about that answer. As it stands now , I plan on having Dr Mignucci perform this surgery. Now, if he tells me, "Steve, this is a very complex and risky procedure such that you really need the absolute best surgeons such as bertagnoli and Regan" then I will take his word and go see Regan. But Im suspecting that a cervical ADR removal is something that any good surgeon can do. Though I will prefer that the surgeon have some experience at removing ADR's of course. I think its the lumbar that is so risky and complicated, not the cervical. We'll see.

As far as the reason fro Dr Peloza and TBI not taking my case on, its not due to their worry about this being 3 level and experimental. I dont buy it. I think its because they are resentful that I went overseas. As Mark said, they are indeed in competition with each other for the business. We must all remember that unfortunately, money turns the world and is at the source of all greed and selfishness. One reason that backs this theory up is that my current Ortho, Dr Mackenzie was very positive about wanting to perform this surgery, actually he was quite perky about it. I almost felt bad telling him "no" for now. And I suspect Dr Mignucci will be too, but we'll see. If Dr Mignucci does have the same desire to do this surgery as Dr Mackenzie, this will prove my theory with 100% certainty. That theory being that its nothing more than resentment that Dr Peloza and the TBI refused to take me on. Not only refusing to, both were quite rude to me. Dr Peloza wouldnt even answer my questions and neither was he willing to suggest a local surgeon. And if you may recall, Dr Ziglar at the TBI commented "oh, I remember you, you're the guy who went to germany". I think these doctors get really tissy about their former patients going to other doctors for a surgery instead of choosing them. I think its a total EGO thing. Its pretty sad.

Anyways, thanks for the comments folks.

9/22/09 -Dr B opened me up to find a staph infection was eating my vertebrae causing ADR subsidence. Had to remove all 3 ADR's and convert to 3 level fusion. Mostly pain free 2 weeks post op.

9/20/10 - I think I jinxed myself. As soon as I told dr b and dr Sullivan I was doing well (on 6/1/10) I tanked and have experienced the return of pain. My neuro says the new pain is at t4.

Last edited by steve55; 08-14-2009 at 06:42 AM.