View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 07:44 AM

Default Update

I saw Dr Mignucci yesterday, and man, does he ever want to go to town on my neck. LOL. He says I need to take out ALL three prodiscs and fuse at 3 levels. He specifically said that I dont have enough vertebrae left to support any prodiscs at the C5/6 to C6/7 vertebrae. He says the C5/6 disc keels will crack the vertebrae below it, and we need to fix it now in one surgery or else Ill just end up having another surgery later. He also noted significant bone spurs at C5/6 which he believes are causing my current problems also. I believe I even heard the word corpidectemy or something like that too. I do know it would involves accessing my spine from both the anterior and the posterior positions, maybe he wants to put plating on both sides, I didnt quite get it all. Ive heard posterior approaches are a bitch to heal from. And I havent heard good things about 3 level fusions, and lastly, he says we must use autograft, as in my own hip bone as it is the only way to assure proper fusion in this kind of extensive procedure.

The last doctor I saw, Dr Mackenzie simply went along with what I told him Dr B had said I needed which was a C6/7 ADR removal and fusion.

This Dr Mignucci has made Dallas' prestigious Best doctor list 4 years in a row. He is one of only 4 in there for spine surgeons, along with Dr Peloza. So, he is no fly weight and supposedly is one of the top dogs. So the fact he says I need such a major overhaul is concerning.

I plan to go ahead and get this mylogram done as he suggests, and then send his written recommendation along with the new Xrays, CT scan, and mylogram to Dr Regan and I think Im going to follow whatever advice Dr regan gives. ONe thing for sure, every doctor here I have seen all know who Dr Regan is, with Dr mackenzie saying Dr Regan would be who he'd go to if he had a back problem. I do believe Dr Regan will decide it for me. He will have more than enough in his hands to make a good decision.

Meanwhile, the pain level has gotten better lately, Ive had no pain attacks and the fornt of my shoulders dont hurt anymore when I walk. However, my forfingers of my right hand are now going numb by about 50%. This is a first for me.

9/22/09 -Dr B opened me up to find a staph infection was eating my vertebrae causing ADR subsidence. Had to remove all 3 ADR's and convert to 3 level fusion. Mostly pain free 2 weeks post op.

9/20/10 - I think I jinxed myself. As soon as I told dr b and dr Sullivan I was doing well (on 6/1/10) I tanked and have experienced the return of pain. My neuro says the new pain is at t4.

Last edited by steve55; 08-19-2009 at 08:15 AM.