View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 01:31 AM

Default Correction

I just found out that I actually got a corpectomy done after all. I noticed it on my discharge papers. I was confused because I specifically recall dr B saying "the good news is that we didnt have to do the corpectomy". I guess he meant, we didnt have to do 2 corpectomies as the dallas surgeon recommended. So I got a corpectomy at C5 and fusion at C4-7.

I immediately did some research into long term outcomes of corpectemies including many multi level corpectemies and it looks very good. It seems the danger in corpectemies is only during the surgery. But prognosis is that they hold up quite well. I just need to fuse well now. Basically, that infection ate my C5 vertebrae for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!! Darn critters.

I asked for, and will be granted a bone stimulator to aid in fusion. Bone stimulators are controversial as Dr B and this american doc dont think they really work. But I reserached on google for many hours and clearly, there is evidence that they do indeed work, but only in speeding up fusion. Studies seem to show that fusion without bone stimulators simply take alot longer. For me, the sooner I fuse the more free I will feel. Psychologically, I feel I wont have to worry about neck movements once Im fused, so Im all for anything that speeds it up. Plus, when I peruse back boards, it seems to me that 50% of the docs out there DO BELIEVE in them, so go figure. I wonder why half of the doctors say yes t hey work, and the other half say no they dont work. How can this be???? Are they reading the same studies?

At 2 weeks post op, I am able to fast pace walk 20 mins with no limp at the hip bone graft site, only minor ache. Im able to sit and work at my computer for unlimited hours it seems, only minor aches in my neck. I feel I could go back to work already for real. Im amazed. Maybe it's dumb luck or because of the work of Dr B. They say he is a master carpenter, and his name is immediately recognized by all 5 docs Ive been to! Hell, even my cousin's husband who sells medical devices knew his name too. Unbelievable. So Ill hang out at home for 1 more week and then start back to work. Been cleared for driving since Im doing so well so far. My only worry at this time is to have a successful fusion.

9/22/09 -Dr B opened me up to find a staph infection was eating my vertebrae causing ADR subsidence. Had to remove all 3 ADR's and convert to 3 level fusion. Mostly pain free 2 weeks post op.

9/20/10 - I think I jinxed myself. As soon as I told dr b and dr Sullivan I was doing well (on 6/1/10) I tanked and have experienced the return of pain. My neuro says the new pain is at t4.