View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 04:48 PM

Allan,

I believe there are two reasons why fusion isn't the best course of action, especially for multi-level. Doing research prior to my 3 level, I discovered that fusing them was actually contra-indicated. The entire disc is removed and replaced by bone fragments surrounded by a cage, held in place with screws, to hold the fragments in place until it becomes solid. The two vertabrae 'fuse' together to form one solid bone.

The first and most obvious reason is restricted movement. You probably wouldn't miss the movement from S1/L5 but L4/5 is a different story. Add any additional levels to that and there's the possibility that climbing stairs would be difficult or even impossible... worst case scenario but you'd probably notice your movements were more limited.

Then, the remaining discs, especially those adjacent on top and/or bottom must take on the burden of movement from the fused ones, weakening their structure with the likilhood that they too will herniate... and DDD crawls up or down your spine.

Also, there is the possibility that over time, the hardware needed loosens and causes its own set of problems.

I know two people with single level fusions who are completely happy with their decisions. I know another woman who is completely disabled. Her doctor insists there's nothing wrong but hasn't ordered an x-ray or MRI in 2 years. Her pain is very possibily related to her hardware but without investigative tests, there's no way to know. I advised her to seek another opinion.

So ADRs are seemingly a better way to go. But also, as you know, these also have their own contra-indications, possible side effects and failures. I've often said that the best course of action starts with very skilled doctors. But you already know that.

Happy whatever, Dale