View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 06:08 PM

Hi Kelly,

Welcome and you've come to the right place. Haven't heard about Dr. Schubert but others might have. If you're considering going to Germany, you also might want to look up Dr. Bertagnoli and Dr. Zeegers, considered the best in the world by a lot of people. Also can't comment on Canadian health care.

Discography (disogram) is very painful although necessary. However, the fear of this test almost prevented me from going to Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany. I had this test in the US under anesthesia and I couldn't understand why it was necessary without it. Some doctors think the anesthesia can alter the results of the test and for me, that was true. To tell you the truth, I didn't even fear childbirth as much as I did this test. And I'm here to tell you, those fears were a complete waste of my time.

To specifically define your pain generators, the pain must be reproduced. But before you can scream out, the pain has already subsided. The peak of the pain lasts 1 second. Stubbing your toe is worse because though the pain might not peak at a 10, maybe just a 9, it lasts for a much longer time.

I've written this same thing over and over again so no one else fears this test as I did. Until me... all I ever heard was how horrible this test was. I had 4 levels tested. After the first level, which did produce a level 10 pain or maybe even an 11, I stopped fearing the test. We all can survive 1 second of pain. We survive electric shocks and paper cuts and biting our tongues and even stubbing our toes. We don't fear reaching for door knobs, opening envelopes, chewing our foods or walking around barefoot (if you live in So. Calif.)

It's also a good idea to wait until you're ready for surgery because this test can negatively affect the discs involved, creating even more pain. And also, since you're already on morphine, you might want to consult a pain management doctor prior to any surgery to ensure your post surgical pain can be controlled.

We know none of your specifics other than you're suffering. If you've tried non-invasive treatments with no results, perhaps it is time to consider surgery. Only you can decide if it's right for you but suffering as you have for 1 1/2 years is a long time. You also must know that surgery does not guarantee a positive result so should you choose this route, educate yourself as much as you can before making an informed decision. Ask questions until you're satisified with your personal understanding and seek second and third opinions as necessary.

Good luck to you, Dale