View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 06:12 PM

WH,

Though a disco/lami is a good idea before trying something far more invasive, it's success rate isn't great. I do wish doctors would offer the statistics before surgery so you are aware of your success odds prior to cutting. Having said that, my mind tells me your doctor wasn't as thorough as he good have been, which doesn't make it so. I have found many spinal doctors are self serving (to put it nicely).

Regardless, you should get a second and perhaps a third opinion before deciding on your next course of action. You obviously still have some spinal cord involvement with whatever's going on and further testing is a good idea. More and more doctors are performing ADR surgery as it becomes a respected alternative to fusion but experience is still the name of that game. I'd look for a heavy hitter and ask questions until you're satisfied with your own understanding.

You may need an ADR but it is not an easy surgery. Certainly less invasive procedures are the way to go but not always successful. BUT ADR surgery is no guarantee either. This decision should not be entered into lightly. Most of us waited until we were on heavy meds and had no lives left.

You should also know that too many of us had to pay for this ourselves. If that's viable, you might want to consider getting opinions from Germany.

Good luck, Dale