View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 08:55 PM

Hi Wilsonia.

First, if this is your email address, I'd suggest changing your screen name to simply wilsonia. Your choice.

Next, welcome to the forum. Hopefully, as others chime in, you've come to the right place.

A spinal fusion is removing the disc matter and in your case, enlarging the nerve passageways, replacing it with bone fragments, placing a cage around it so it will stay in place until it grows into solid bone, after which the cage is no longer needed but removing it is only done when if it causes problems down the line.

We all hate insurance companies but perhaps they feel this very invasive procedure is premature because you haven't tried a laminectomy or foraminotomy or perhaps even physical therapy (or something else I'm unfamiliar with). I also have to say that a 2 level fusion at L5/3 is drastic and can impact the quality of your life. Though some have only minimal limitations, your back moves the most from these discs and bending over may no longer be possible. Climbing stairs may be forever difficult. Also, the adjacent segments, S1/L5 and L2/3 will take on the additional burden and could herniate down the road, perhaps quite soon. Then too the healing process of 2/3 months may be very optimistic. 6 months or even more is not uncommon.

Though insurance companies are all looking out for themselves, I would have to say I agree with them on this one. A 2 level fusion is a drastic first step and though it may ultimately become necessary, you should familiarize yourself with both this surgery and alternatives. Once you understand the various procedures, I think you would also agree that this recommedation might be too drastic a first step, even if eventually needed.

Please seek other opinions. We all understand the arrogance of some spinal surgeons but if the doctor has an excellent reputation, that's something you might simply have to endure. Many of us saw multiple doctors before deciding on which surgery and which doctor.

Please ask as many questions as you can until you're satisfied with your own knowledge and then make your decision.

I wish you good luck,
Dale