Thread: Im new
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 06:54 PM

Anthony,

Unfortunately, I can't help you with New York doctors but I can address the fact that you're scared. I was scared. We all were scared.

You need to know that your most important decision, after deciding what procedure you want to do, which only you can decide - is the choice of doctor.

How do you do that, you ask? First, seek several opinions and ask as many questions of everyone until you're satisfied with your understanding of what's going on and what needs to be done to resolve your pain. Only when you know the various options of what can be done, the risks, the percentages of success and failure (which are almost always skewed) can you decide what is best for your circumstances. But also let me tell you that chances are, there is help for you and you will not have to live your life in pain and disability.

Many doctors, especially spinal surgeons, are egocentric. This alone should not rule them out as qualified physicians but if a doctor tells you 'my way or the highway', go elsewhere. If someone tells you their doctor is fantastic after their 3rd surgery, say thank-you and move on.

You're overwhelmed, we all were overwhelmed, but once you have a game plan, you can stay focused and get on with it.

I'm not even remotely close to the knowledge of others on this forum but your MRI doesn't sound that bad. I'll let others interpret but the 'mildly flatterning the cervical cord' means your disc, the cushiony stuff between your vertabrae, is pressing on your spinal cord, which is causing most, if not all, of your symptoms. (If I'm wrong, I know someone will correct me).

So put your energies into gaining knowledge - and good luck,

Dale