Thread: Reherniation
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 06:10 PM

Gil,

Ouch - and only 1 pain generator out of 4 bad discs?????? It's possible but the only way to find out is a discogram, which may cause even more problems. However, the possible solutions for 1 disc vs. 4 will be different so you have to decide if the disogram is worth the risks.

I had my first discectomy/lami in 1994. S1/L5 reherniated as did L4/5- my second surgery was in 2002. Less than 1 year later I had 4 bad levels, 3 of which were pain generators. This 'disease' is call failed back surgery syndrome. It has a name because of the frequent occurrances. Though my first surgery was an emergency, knowing what I know now, I would not have had the second. Looking at successful percentages, they are not in your favor.

I also want to mention that prior to my first surgery, until the very last days, I had almost no leg or hip pain. It was mostly contained within my back, my muscles seizing tight, drastically limiting my mobility. Standing in the shower was almost impossible. Even now, L2/3 has become a pain generator, not because of nerve involvement but those damned muscles have simply had enough. So just because your MRI may not show nerve compression, you could still have significant pain.

Note to Mark - would a discogram reveal this muscle 'protective' mode?

The short of it Gil, IMHO, I wouldn't have more discectomies. Something else you may want to consider is scar tissue which might make ADRs more difficult. You have a lot to think about and I wish you a lot of luck.

Dale