Thread: Back Problems
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 04:13 PM

Default Back Problems

On another post, Aaron started me thinking. Most people, at some point in their lives, will have back pain but like me, most are unaware their back could actually be injured. I believe a chiropractor, someone who should have known better, actually ruptured my disc, causing an emergency surgery which ultimately led me to a 3 level ADR. Having suffered with muscle spasms my entire adult life, as did many members of my family with a smiliar trait of one leg longer than the other, I had no idea what a herniated disc was, despite the fact that I knew two people who had discectomies.

Are doctors so accustomed to these quite common muscle spasms, which can be quite severe, that they simply pat everyone's knee with a 'there, there now', slap on a band-aid type response with muscle relaxers or perhaps pt and never look for something more severe, preferring to believe their patient is overreacting?

We here this time and time again.

On the other hand, you have surgeons so eager to cut that they prefer, knowing the possible consequences of altering someone's spine forever, to recommend a major, life changing, surgery instead of and before exploring less invasive cures. I guess we just can't win.

Aaron, before the masses start to address back issues or begin to even care, they have to be made aware of those issues. I currently have two neighbors suffering with herniated discs but are basically uneducated about what it is. Everyone is too willing and eager to believe their doctor is always correct and knows best.

This is why we urge fellow spineys to get second and third opinions... and also why we say your doctor/surgeon is the most important decision in your quest for a pain free life.