View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 05:11 PM

Hi Peter and welcome,

I understand you are at a crossroads, to surgery or not to surgery. Only you can make that decision. To do so, you should have more knowledge than you do right now. There are downsides to surgery and there's no going back once you have it. Also, only you know how much daily pain you're experiencing and if it's bad enough to warrent the risks.

Has your pain interfered with your life? Are you a slave to your pain? Does it dictate what you can and cannot do?

When you have surgery on one disc, that disc is changed forever. Often, the load from the now compromised disc transfers to adjacent discs and the cycle of degerative disc disease begins. Though the success rate for first discectomies is high, the percentages decline drastically for second and subsequent surgeries. This is so common, it has a name, failed back surgery syndrome.

So if you can avoid surgery, maybe you should. If however, your pain is too intense or interferes with too much living, surgery should be considered. Then you need to find out which procedure would be best for you.

I realize this is far more complicated than the question, should I have surgery. Only you can make that decision for only you will reap the benefits and/or suffer the consequences. Research, learn and when you ultimately make that decision, know you're making the right one for you.

Listen to the advise others offer on this and other forums. Certainly get other opinions - you have only one spine. Research minimally-invasive procedures. Ask tons of questions until you're satisfied with your own knowledge and than decide what is best for you. And good luck,

Dale