View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 PM

Dr. P,

I agree with you but there is a huge problem with our current system. Aside from the only people making any money are the ins co, my self employed husband and I were paying $1800 per month for health covereage (PPO). We couldn't afford it anymore and switched to $1200 very high deductible policy, also PPO. HMO's weren't any cheaper, but had less deduct/copays. If we couldn't get a small group policy I'm basically uninsurable because of my history.

We both turn 60 this year and the high deductible policy is going back up to $1800.

My son can't even afford food and has no coverage at all. Another son's wife has coverage from work but they recently cancelled all spousal ins. He had to get his own policy. Work is decreasing their contribution so they're paying much more for less coverage. 3rd son also must pay higher % of premium.

The idea that anyone has the right to tell me or my doctor what they will or will not allow for medical treatments is a bad one. I don't think anyone disagrees with that statement. The rich will live, the poor will suffer. But $1800 per month is a mortgage payment. The system wasn't broken until HMOs entered the game. Why not simply outlaw any managed system and we'll go back to the way it was????????

Business is bad (big wow there) and we simply cannot afford this anymore. If one of us is hospitalized or needs surgery- ouch! Something has to change.

Dale