View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 10:38 AM

Default re your PM

I think PMs see many patients as do many physicians and it seems to me that often they do not look at the chart before entering the room and probably forget who you are and exactly what your problems might be other than you're there for treatment of pain.

You're being your own best advocate when you continue to state your condition which could or could not change within the month to several month period you see your PM.

My PM doesn't say much although he only sees me every 3 months and I believe he knows my case although I've been seeing him since 2005 so I'd hope so. Not to say that he knows what my condition is day to day or even remembers what surgeries I've had already w/o me restating them whenever I see him. As long as he is actively listening to me while I'm there that's what counts. I think his secretary probably is more familiar with my case as I schedule the appts. w/her and she hears why I need to be there or what is going on and seems to remember!

Just keep stating your case and realize that these physicians have a large patient load and it is difficult to commit everyone's history to memory plus it could change from each time the patient is seen. It would help if the doctor would look at the chart before entering although unless a nurse or intake person has asked why you're there the physician/PM is unlikely to remember from visit to visit so expect to restate why you're there each time you're seen, what you're working on (like disability paperwork (someone else usually fills it out and the physician signs it) and has been going on w/you since last visit until current visit. I find a brief statement helps as follow up visits are usually 5 minutes now if that (sometimes 10)~ longer if necessary tho that's unusual in the states I think.

Last edited by Maria; 01-27-2011 at 10:42 AM.