Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Communicating with MD's - Foreign Language? in the Main forums forums; More on my mind... Is it common to have communication problems with the MD's? I've seen my PM ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 06:46 PM

Question Communicating with MD's - Foreign Language?

More on my mind...

Is it common to have communication problems with the MD's?

I've seen my PM for a year now. I told her at 3 appts that I lost my job because I can't work because of the pain and that I was filing disability. I've told her that I can't even go to the grocery store because of the pain. I spend most of my day/night in a recliner. Last month she says "I was surprised to receive disability paperwork. What is the problem?" "Well I guess this is affecting your life." This month she asks where my pain is. (It's been the same for a year.) When I explain my pain. She looks at me in shock and said "When did that start?" I said last January. I'm not driving right now so my husband takes me to the appts and has witnessed all of this. Otherwise, I would think I'm losing my mind.

So my question is, what am I doing wrong? Is there some special communication skills I need to get my informaiton heard? I'm frustrated! I think I'm being clear and I repeat the same info every appt. I don't know a foreign language so I know it's english that I'm speaking.

Anyone else have this problem?
2 Ruptured Thoracic Discs (T7/8, T9/10)
DDD
Old 01-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Guten Tag von Bogen, Germany,

I have been overseas with more than 70 clients, going through every step of the surgical ordeal with them in 10 different clinics and have rarely had a problem. Whenever there was difficulty, it was easy enough to resolve. The benefits of getting the right surgeon for the job (it's not always necessary to go overseas), outweigh the difficulties of travel. They are insignificant compared to the consequences of not getting the best to perform your best option.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-27-2011, 12:58 AM

Mark:

I'm sorry I didn't communicate clearly. I am talking about clearly communicating with a doctor here in the states. It seems that I communicate my health issues at every appt and months later they are all of a sudden shocked by what I have been telling them for months.

I'm wondering if other patients are having the same issue with doctors. Or what are other people doing to make sure they are heard clearly and understood.

Thanks for your reply.

Enjoy your travels.
2 Ruptured Thoracic Discs (T7/8, T9/10)
DDD
Old 01-27-2011, 10:38 AM

Default re your PM

I think PMs see many patients as do many physicians and it seems to me that often they do not look at the chart before entering the room and probably forget who you are and exactly what your problems might be other than you're there for treatment of pain.

You're being your own best advocate when you continue to state your condition which could or could not change within the month to several month period you see your PM.

My PM doesn't say much although he only sees me every 3 months and I believe he knows my case although I've been seeing him since 2005 so I'd hope so. Not to say that he knows what my condition is day to day or even remembers what surgeries I've had already w/o me restating them whenever I see him. As long as he is actively listening to me while I'm there that's what counts. I think his secretary probably is more familiar with my case as I schedule the appts. w/her and she hears why I need to be there or what is going on and seems to remember!

Just keep stating your case and realize that these physicians have a large patient load and it is difficult to commit everyone's history to memory plus it could change from each time the patient is seen. It would help if the doctor would look at the chart before entering although unless a nurse or intake person has asked why you're there the physician/PM is unlikely to remember from visit to visit so expect to restate why you're there each time you're seen, what you're working on (like disability paperwork (someone else usually fills it out and the physician signs it) and has been going on w/you since last visit until current visit. I find a brief statement helps as follow up visits are usually 5 minutes now if that (sometimes 10)~ longer if necessary tho that's unusual in the states I think.

Last edited by Maria; 01-27-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:30 PM

Shebo,

Aside from perhaps advising it's time to find another PM, other doctors also, take nothing we say very seriously.

I have a difficult time with anesthesia. My blood pressure drops to very dangerous levels. Though I advise everyone of this problem, including the anesthesiologist, I'm still not taken seriously. Three years ago, after a routine procedure, my blood pressure dropped to very dangerous levels. Last year I was much more forceful, demanding action - and got it.

Shebo, if your doctor isn't listening to you, regardless of why, you're not getting the care and meds you need. I don't know what it would take for this doctor to hear your words but how much better might you be feeling if, because you were listened to, your meds were changed or ?????

When your doctor becomes too busy to listen or too jaded, find someone else. There are plenty of doctors out there who will listen and do care.

Good luck, Dale
Old 01-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Administrator

OK, I've quit laughing out loud... what a crack up. The error was mine. Had I read your post more carefully, what you were trying to say was obvious. My interpretation is colored by being exhausted, in a hurry, being in Germany with American clients and having done this over and over again during the last decade (almost). Your post was perfectly clear.

I agree that many (if not most) doctors are language impaired. However, I think it's not really a language barrier as much as a bandwidth issue. With more bandwidth, you'd be able to have a more meaningful exchange per precious second of their time. Of course, if they spent more time with you, they could get away with such limited bandwidth.

Good luck!

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 PM

Default Well, if this makes you feel any better

I lived in Baumholder Germany for three years with my ex-spouse. He was US Army...Anyway, I still remember the basics, but never really learned German fluently. Funny thing is, when I watch movies, I kind of know what they are saying when it's in German, but I can't really speak it. Now go figure that. Most of the doctors that I know from this site and that I meet while I lived there, speak very good English. It's a second language for most. PS Most of my verbal skills encluded something about ordering beer, so don't go by me....
Old 01-27-2011, 11:24 PM

Non-performing doctor. It's not uncommon, nothing wrong with you or the way you communicate.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:48 AM

My drug list , physician list and phone numbers, surgeries and medical conditions i keep current with me at all apt. so i do on occasion if i think lots have changed or the nurse or doc asks if anything is new I have them make a copy of this list.
I also type up a list of questions, comments of the day. My spine surgeon loves me giving him this info. He probably knows me best, but still likes to get it. If nothing else , with other docs they are ususally appreciative and have a quick something to catch themselves up with for next time too.
Yesterday at my pm doc there was a new nurse. She was nice and introduced herself , but her questions and comments seeemed out there. Every one enters on a computer when talking to me. So she went to ask the other nurse a question and find out she was on the screen of a different patient. Explained it all.
judy