View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 04:11 AM

Default Discograms

I've noticed that many surgeons don't believe in the validity of discograms. My current neuro ,dr Cattorini here in Dallas, doesn't seem to believe in them. Do discograms really identify the pain generator? Also, my neuro says that if they did any type of surgery on the thoracic, they would fuse posteriorly but they would not remove the disc (discetomy). I don't like the sound if that. I firmly believe that simply stopping movement won't solve the problem. I think it's the discs themselves that are generating the pain. My mri looks good, I have no thoracic protrusions or stenosis, just thinning discs. So I think its the discs themselves (t4) that are causing my pain. Anyways, It looks like my lyrica suddenly stopped working, my symptoms have returned with a vengeance these last 2 days. Quite dissapointing. I wonder if I'll be needing the services of dr regan someday. The vats sure seems alot easier to go through than a typical thorectemy.

Jsewel, how much worse or difficult was the vats surgery compared to your cervical fusions? Good to hear that your t7 and t8 pain is resolved. It must mean the discogram was accurate in identifying the primary pain generator.

9/22/09 -Dr B opened me up to find a staph infection was eating my vertebrae causing ADR subsidence. Had to remove all 3 ADR's and convert to 3 level fusion. Mostly pain free 2 weeks post op.

9/20/10 - I think I jinxed myself. As soon as I told dr b and dr Sullivan I was doing well (on 6/1/10) I tanked and have experienced the return of pain. My neuro says the new pain is at t4.

Last edited by steve55; 02-09-2011 at 04:18 AM.