View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 05:44 PM

Hooch,

I am a type A personality with red hair and all that goes with it. My temper rises quicker that would seem humanly possible. It used to be uncontrollable as it still is in my father and one son. There are some things that can get me going.

I think the first step in protecting yourself is to understand yourself. This is a lifelong process and not an easy one but if you want to relax and enjoy the rest of your life, a good intraspective look is necessary, as is complete honesty.

Does your father, or anyone else, react to you because of you or because of them? We are all products of our upbringing and if your father is a negative person, most likely, you are too. Compare yourself to someone you admire and to someone you don't. The results can really open your eyes.

Most people never have to closely examine their lives or thoses of their loved ones. But when some form of adversity enters our life, we become different. We are special and must deal with our special problems. How can we expect others to understand us if we don't understand ourselves?

At the end of the day, you go to sleep with yourself and wake up in the morning with the same person. You should get to know him. Then, gradually, when all is said and done, you'll be able to protect yourself and stop the knife throwing.

Through my entire ordeal, though my family has its share of problems, they were all quite supportive but still things were said and/or done that hurt. Going through this with an unsupportive family is an entirely different story. My hat is off to you!

Btw - slow, deep breathing is usually calming. Try no more than four breaths per minute.

Dale